Billet or forged?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Billet or forged?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Billet or forged?

Which is better, billet or forged receivers? I am doing my first AR build and I want my first build to be good. I want to build it for accuracy, with a 20" air gauged barrel. I have decided on everything else, but the receivers. I have been getting mixed thoughts, but my first thought was to go with a billet set. I am seeking knowledge, experience, and most of all wisdom. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Forged is fine, and probably the best choice for compatibility. But if you fall in love with a billet receiver or an extra feature thereof, you still should be fine even though you pay more for it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Billet or forged really makes no difference as far as accuracy is concerned. Barrel and trigger group make the difference there.

Strength-wise a forged lower is actually better due to the forging process. Billet lower allow for some pretty custom looks if that's your thing.

If you go billet check out joeboboutfitters, I picked up a KIES billet lower there for about the price of a Spikes or YHM forged.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

They are both specced the same - you'll pay more for the look of that billet than it gains you in performance (of which there is none). SA&A, PSA, Aero Precisoion (just another Sa&A though)there are so many and far less costly than what you're prepared to pay. Put your money where it will make the most impact - barrel, trigger optics....in that order imo.

(You'll find that most receivers are actually made by just a handful of manufacturers - they just roll mark them differently)

Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Then who makes a good forged set

Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #6

This is just my thoughts based on my experience (which includes 28 years shooting the darned things in the military). You can buy a BCM, Spikes, Mega what have you but it's not going to affect how your firearm operates. You can go to Surplus Arms and Ammo, or Palmetto State, or any of a host of different sites that you google search. The only caution I would throw out to you is Colt - they use large diameter pins making their uppers and lowers proprietary - but there is no difference in performance. Unless you actually want to spend money on a matched upper and lower (which guarantees a tight fit at a pretty hefty price), you can get a good set from just about anyone - heck even Rock River has ok prices. The thing is - spend your money on the important components - like he barrel you've mentioned! So many waste $$$ on things that are unimportant because of a name - and gain nothing from it. Your trigger is very important - one of the things you might consider with it (I'd steer clear of standard mil triggers, but don't know if you want a single or two stage - or your purpose) is getting some anti-walk pins.

I ran through mine just now and I have Sonju Defense, RRA, PSA (manufactured by SA&A), SA&A, Aero Precision (made by SA&A) and one that I made using an 80% kit. They all fit snug as a bug (and even if they didn't, the Accuwedge takes take of that).

Ultimately, it's about how your barrel (and its quality) is squared to your receiver, the trigger and your ability to shoot what the rifle is capable of.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome
This is just my thoughts based on my experience (which includes 28 years shooting the darned things in the military). You can buy a BCM, Spikes, Mega what have you but it's not going to affect how your firearm operates. You can go to Surplus Arms and Ammo, or Palmetto State, or any of a host of different sites that you google search. The only caution I would throw out to you is Colt - they use large diameter pins making their uppers and lowers proprietary - but there is no difference in performance. Unless you actually want to spend money on a matched upper and lower (which guarantees a tight fit at a pretty hefty price), you can get a good set from just about anyone - heck even Rock River has ok prices. The thing is - spend your money on the important components - like he barrel you've mentioned! So many waste $$$ on things that are unimportant because of a name - and gain nothing from it. Your trigger is very important - one of the things you might consider with it (I'd steer clear of standard mil triggers, but don't know if you want a single or two stage - or your purpose) is getting some anti-walk pins.

I ran through mine just now and I have Sonju Defense, RRA, PSA (manufactured by SA&A), SA&A, Aero Precision (made by SA&A) and one that I made using an 80% kit. They all fit snug as a bug (and even if they didn't, the Accuwedge takes take of that).

Ultimately, it's about how your barrel (and its quality) is squared to your receiver, the trigger and your ability to shoot what the rifle is capable of.
First off, I salute you for serving this country, thank you. My dad served from 1952 to 1976, infantry.

I've only been shooting for 15 years, mostly pistols, a few revolvers, and a few rifles. My dad used to competition shoot in the army, I just want to shoot hone my skills. I'm good with a pistol, and would like to be good with a rifle. I'm not the best shooter, but I can hit golfballs and baseballs at 100 yards consistently with iron sights, and shot my ex-wife's brother's Kimber(6.5x55 bolt action 9X scope) at 200 yards(3 shots under a quarter).

Here goes what I have planned this far: 20" air gauged Wilson Arms barrel, Mega Machines or VLTOR forged lower, VLTOR MUR upper, RRA 2 stage trigger, magpul acs stock, Troy free float hand-guard, ergo grip, flip up front and rear sight, spike buffer set, and I haven't decided spring kit or gas block yet. I'm choosing to build an AR cause I'm tired of paying for stuff in the gun that I'm gonna switch out

I chose these parts reputation, hopefully performance, appearance, and peace of mind. I have a RRA entry tactical HBAR and a new Sig M400, I used to have a S&W M&P 15X and bushmaster m4.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

You chose good parts - enjoy!

The things about AR's is they are never done. I run parts past the wife all the time (thinking she doesn't notice...riiiight) none of my are static in terms of build, even my favorite one.