Big Bore AR discussion
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Big Bore AR discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Default Big Bore AR discussion

Im looking at going the big bore caliber route in a 10" barrel for one of my SBRs.
Anyone have any input on this . Im leaning towards the .458 socom over the .50 Beowolf and the .450 Bushmaster . Any input would be greatly appreciated

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Very expensive unless you reload but tons of fun and hits like a train wreck(458 socom) no experience with the other two but aa makes the 6.5 Grendel as well and that thing is a hoot with great ballistics so I would imagine the 50 would be good as well

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i would recomend the socom. simply huge bullet selection unlike the 50's which limit you to pistol bullets, while effective there just are not as wide a variety.

the socom has the same ballistics as the 45-70.

the socom uses standard nato ar15 mags. pmags have some difficulty with it. the rest use either proprietary mags or modified nato mags.

i use 30 and 20 round milsurps with mine
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 05-14-2014 at 06:45 PM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have experience with socom and it is great to work with. You should go for it.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am in the process of building a 458 SOCOM for pig hunting etc. After a bit of research I chose the 458 SOCOM because it seemed as if everything was more readily available and the performance was what I was looking for. SBR Ammuntion usually has 458 ammo in stock. Wilson combat is now selling rifles and components. RRA has a wide selection of rifles. I am using the Wilson Combat upper, lower and barrel kit in my build. Hornady, Lee & Redding produce reloading dies. There are lots of options for bullets. Brass is a little hard to come by, but I got mine by having Starline notify me when it was available. Midway is taking backorders for 458 SOCOM brass as of 5/29/14.

I have my upper complete. Originally I was going to just exchange uppers, but after completing the upper, I decided to buy a lower receiver and finish out the entire rifle. As to the original question in this post, I don't know about using the 458 SOCOM in a 10 inch barrel SBR. The kit I bought from Wilson has a 16 inch barrel with a carbine length gas tube and an adjustable gas block. Wilson also offers a 14.7 inch barrel kit, but I have not seen a 10 inch barrel for sale. However teppojutsu.com has a photo of a 8.5 inch upper, so I suspect that they know of a source for barrels. I'd be interested in knowing how you proceed.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTechy View Post
I am in the process of building a 458 SOCOM for pig hunting etc. After a bit of research I chose the 458 SOCOM because it seemed as if everything was more readily available and the performance was what I was looking for. SBR Ammuntion usually has 458 ammo in stock. Wilson combat is now selling rifles and components. RRA has a wide selection of rifles. I am using the Wilson Combat upper, lower and barrel kit in my build. Hornady, Lee & Redding produce reloading dies. There are lots of options for bullets. Brass is a little hard to come by, but I got mine by having Starline notify me when it was available. Midway is taking backorders for 458 SOCOM brass as of 5/29/14.

I have my upper complete. Originally I was going to just exchange uppers, but after completing the upper, I decided to buy a lower receiver and finish out the entire rifle. As to the original question in this post, I don't know about using the 458 SOCOM in a 10 inch barrel SBR. The kit I bought from Wilson has a 16 inch barrel with a carbine length gas tube and an adjustable gas block. Wilson also offers a 14.7 inch barrel kit, but I have not seen a 10 inch barrel for sale. However teppojutsu.com has a photo of a 8.5 inch upper, so I suspect that they know of a source for barrels. I'd be interested in knowing how you proceed.
Marty terweem(sp) at teppojutsu invented it so his info is most likely correct
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After a little more research it turns out that Tromix sells both 10.5 and 12 inch 458 socom barrels.