Big AR thumpers.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Big AR thumpers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Big AR thumpers.

I'm not particularly an AR-15 guy but like most guys I like power, the more overwhelming and devastating the better...of course its all for fun and maybe some woods defense. So I was wondering if any of you had any experience you'd be willing to share about the larger caliber ARs like the 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf, and 450 Bushmaster. From what I understand the 450 and 458 both use typical large 45 caliber bullets and are fairly easy to handload for. I just now started looking at them but dont plan on buying anytime soon, I'm merely curious about them and anything shared will be appreciated, so how about 'em?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
the larger caliber ARs like the 458 Socom
You won't be disappointed

I love mine and when I light a round off at the range it definitely gets folks attention. I haven't hunted with it yet but researched a lot of info and videos from the 458SOCOM Forum - it will drop anything right where it stands.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/members/dog2000tj/albums/rra-458socom/

Teppo Jutsu - "Art of the Rifle" - Advanced Firearms Applications

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-458 CAR A4

Some others on here have other large caliber AR versions so I imagine they will chime in.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

if your going with anything other than 5.56 on a AR15 you better reload or have deep pockets. none of them are cheap off the shelf.

my opinion the 458 socom is the best choice of all the current 45cal+ choices. reason being is simply the enormous selection of .458 bullets out there. the 450 bushmaster uses .451/.452 caliber bullets which are generally pistol bullets for the .45acp. neither one will work well with plated bullets so you cant save money there the fps is just too high.

my choice is the .458 socom simply because of bullet selection and it replicates the perormance of the .45-70 cartridge in a functional semi-auto format and does not require modified magizines to run.

for pig busting and deer hunting its a perfect brush cartridge.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

I have bushy 450 have shot 3 hogs wit one round dropped first 2 and wounded the third. Although I would get 458 socom if I'd researched deeper many Moore options or choices of bullets. And rounds are 29 - 32$ per 20 not as bad as some other big game rounds out their. Has kick and sound of 20 ga shotgun.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looked up a few ballistic charts for the 450 Bushmaster and supposedly if you sight the thing in at 80 yards you have a +2 inch rise before 80 and -2 inches at 200 yards. Sounds pretty nice in theory, but I'm wondering how well the 458 Socom fairs ballistically too.

Edit/add-on: Where would be the best spot to zero with minimal pre-zero rise and post-zero fall (at say 200 yards)

I like the fact that Teppo Jutsu claims you can use the 90 round 223 mag for approximately 30-35 rounds of total whoop-@%$. Then put a piston kit on it, if that's possible, just to keep the internals from getting too hot and you've got one hell of a gun.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Last edited by Ruzai; 02-10-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #6

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Looks as if the forum is back up and running. If you are interested in the 458 than this is the place to check out,

www.458socomforums.com - Index

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Looked up a few ballistic charts for the 450 Bushmaster and supposedly if you sight the thing in at 80 yards you have a +2 inch rise before 80 and -2 inches at 200 yards. Sounds pretty nice in theory, but I'm wondering how well the 458 Socom fairs ballistically too.

Edit/add-on: Where would be the best spot to zero with minimal pre-zero rise and post-zero fall (at say 200 yards)

I like the fact that Teppo Jutsu claims you can use the 90 round 223 mag for approximately 30-35 rounds of total whoop-@%$. Then put a piston kit on it, if that's possible, just to keep the internals from getting too hot and you've got one hell of a gun.
from what i understand the 450 bushmaster you have to use modified ar15 mags for it to work. to me thats a big no-no.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Yeah, I am thinking going with one of these. Wonder which to go with?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Yeah, I am thinking going with one of these. Wonder which to go with?
Whichever one you better reload. All of em are pricey ammo off the shelf.

450 bushmaster gotta use premium jacketed bullets fps too fast for plated and need special mags. Limited to pistol bullets

458 socom can take a while to find brass uses standard ar mags massive selection of very effective bullets that work well at the designed fps. Can be difficult to load due to weird bottleneck case.

500 beowulf limited selection of .500 bullets. Doesn't need special mags not a big jump in power over 458 or 450. Mostly limited by poor selection of bullets.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I ever end up building an AR-15, it'll be probably the 458 Socom with a 20" barrel and the AR will likely never see a 223 bullet in its life.
The only thing about the 458 Socom is the accuracy compared to the 450 Bushie, but if you reload it correctly I'm sure you could get close if not similar accuracy out of the 458 Socom.