Best way to break in a new AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best way to break in a new AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Best way to break in a new AR

I was able to purchase my first AR the other day. So far I have just cleaned the factory oils and dust off my rifle but nothing in the barrel. What are some best practices to break in a new rifle?

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Oil and shoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Firearms Talk mobile app

I don't need No stinking signature.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I just clean them thoroughly of all factory junk feline and go shoot.

I'm convinced that voodoo rituals of scrubbing after x rounds y times does pretty much nothing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It depends on the Barrel. A Non-chrome lined barrel will require some shooting, cleaning, then shooting again to season(strengthen the bore) barrel properly. If you have a Manual, it should say in it, but to also keep Warranty in effect. An un-chromed barrel will NOT take the abuse like a Chrome-Lined barrel can take. That's not saying you can't do a 10/20/30-shot Mag dump, just can't do it Mag after Mag.
A Chrome-lined Barrel is cleaned and shot ever how you like.

I forgot: sent from home PC not using tapatalk. Just a little rub for the mobile users

Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Oil

Shoot

Repeat

Old 12-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Chrome lining gives you about 10k more rounds before the barrel is shot out than a ss barrel. Wear rate from heavy use is the same.

I've got two ar that are high enough quality I consider precision bores both are ss barrels one I did the shoot clean shoot clean etc ritual the other I just took it and shot it. After initial cleanings of course. Both are able to turn in 1/4 moa groups at 100yds. If there is a diff tween a complicated cleaning breakin and not doing it I haven't seen quantifiable proof it helps other than opinion to date.

You can do the ritual or not it doesn't hurt anything one way or the other. If the barrel maker has a breakin procedure it can't hurt to follow it but the fact every high end maker has a different oppinion on how it's done and the why's of it and a different way to do it is proof to me that it really doesn't matter

I do highly recommend the jp bore cleaning guide whatever you do. Just an awesome tool for cleaning

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have a chrome lined barrel on mine. Thanks fir all of the tips

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #8

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

don't forget to aim!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

My .308 AR barrel came from DPMS and their instructions was to clean after each shot for the first 10 and then clean after every 10 till you get to 200. I'm not sure its worth the trouble but like someone else said it couldn't hurt anything.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Does anyone know if the Melonite barrels last the same as chromed and do they require any special cleaning/handling ?

DropZ

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".