Best source for AR15 mags. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best source for AR15 mags.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I prefer Pmags, but check out AR-15/M-16 Mags

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5505 Times on 2873 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i got a bunch from a friend of mine he "found" them in various iraqi caches in iraq and brought em back for me. he likes AK47s and i like ARs. i brought some back from my service in the army. they were being tossed so i took em instead of them hitting the dumpster.

i buy em now and then at gunshows when someone has a pile for 5$ each or so.

here is some handy mag info: AR-15 / M16 Magazine FAQ

excerpt:

Quote:
All of the G.I. contract 30s work fine, except for some black-follower lots
of Cooper Industries and some black follower lots of Sanchez (DSI)
production. These were recalled for destruction by the military, due to poor
tolerances of the magazine body. To avoid the bad lots, NEVER buy any Coopers or
Sanchez, unless they have the later style green followers and are in sealed original GI contract
wrappers or have date-stamped bodies marked "02" (2002) or later. (Indicating later manufacture.)

So in summary, here are the good ones:
Adventureline
Bushmaster (BFI)
Center Industries
Colt
DPMS
FN
HK
Okay Industries
Parsons
Simmonds (Universal)
Sterling

And here are the *potentially* bad ones:
Cooper Industries
DSI (Sanchez)
And of course anything aftermarket (Usually made of blued steel--these are JUNK!)
what he mentions is pretty spot on. most of mine are colt, parsons, and adventureline. i have a couple of okay industries and the ones i have shoot fine.

the gi mags are the best there is in my opinion.

ive got some cammengas but there are 3 negatives with those. they are heavy, they are a little on the long side, they do not work with the 458 socom round which was the main reason i got them. the cammengas are flawless in 556/223 usage and built like a abrams tank. you just cannot break them.

ive also got some pmags and i wont add anymore. ive tried trading them for gi mags at gunshows but no one wants em :/ i did swap a few with a mall ninja at the rifle range once but the rest are onto me now... but this is wisconsin and the plastic mag thing doesnt seem to be a big seller in these parts

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #13

Ha..I've got one of those old Sanchez mags with the black follower. And just by SFL...I've never used it.

Under my shirt? Oh that..it's a cell phone.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #14

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS11 View Post
I just got two 20 round "Colt" mags from a gun broker add. The add said they were Colt mags but when I got them it says NHMTG HARTFORD, CT on the bottom plate. I don't know if they are really Colt mags but they are new and look good. I paid $25 each for them but the shipping was $10.00!!!!!! Hope they work good.
AgentTikki, since you're talking a KISS A2, 20rd and 30rd Colts would be ideal. You can find real Colt stamped mags on AR15.com's EE sometimes for $15-20. And NHMTG or Okay mags are Colt approved. Mags from BCM linked above are plenty good as well.

ALS11, the NHMTGs should work great but you might want to complain about that purchase since you paid top dollar but didn't get Colt.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah_BenHur View Post
Ha..I've got one of those old Sanchez mags with the black follower. And just by SFL...I've never used it.
I also got a Sanchez in a bunch of surplus GI mags I stumbled across cheap. Most of them worked ok but the Sanchez was trouble. Another wouldn't drop free then I noticed the top welds were broken. I finally put Magpul Gen 3 followers in the good mags and they work great now.

BTW, with used magazines there's no way to be sure what you've actually got since baseplates get swapped around all the time.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Thanks for all you suggestions! I think I'll try and get some old school Colt Mags......maybe just a couple just fer looks. Honestly tho, I have over 10 Pmags all of them have been flawless....so far. I just get worries that the feed lips might break but they've been good to me so far.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21247 Times on 12063 Posts
Likes Given: 53005

i have bought several 30 rnd mags from Brownell's and have been very pleased with them. never failed to feed or drop free. about $20 each in price.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #18

Nothing wrong with PMAGs, I have a couple dozen myself, ten with the S&W M&P15 logo. But for a KISS rifle you gotta have USGI and why not Colt!

______

Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Nothing wrong with PMAGs, I have a couple dozen myself, ten with the S&W M&P15 logo. But for a KISS rifle you gotta have USGI and why not Colt!

Colts it is, but then again, FN and HK seem kinda cool, just because.

Looks like I'm doing some shopping

Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Colts it is, but then again, FN and HK seem kinda cool, just because.

Looks like I'm doing some shopping
Yeah, the HK is cool but even heavier than the Cammenga. Quite a while back I picked up an HK on sale for $20 and will keep it if only for the amazing craftsmanship and overengineering but it's just too darn heavy.

______