Best sight for ~$60 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best sight for ~$60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

You wont have a good solid way to mount the front sight . If you have a railed gas block you will have to use a aluminum or steel sight and it will need to be a different height than the rear because the gas block sits lower than the top rail. I belive yhm and rra makes the right height front sight

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
You wont have a good solid way to mount the front sight . If you have a railed gas block you will have to use a aluminum or steel sight and it will need to be a different height than the rear because the gas block sits lower than the top rail. I belive yhm and rra makes the right height front sight
My bad again I messed up my terminology. I was meaning to say would i need to purchase a rear sight also? Not front sight! Sorry!

Last edited by Bronco141414; 10-31-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco141414 View Post
I just bought me a Del-Ton Echo 316 w/ Magpul and it already has a front sight. I was just planning on buying a rear sight but instead i am thinking a scope, red dot, something cheap but good. I sort of want something that will work with the front sight so i do not have to take it off, but any recommendations are helpful. Thanks!
For an inexpensive red dot I highly recommend the Vortex Strykfire. Absolutely love mine. Balls accurate, holds zero, does everything I ask it to do. I also comes with a doubler which actually works pretty well. I have spent more money on worse sights.
For backups I like Mbus flip ups.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #24

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
My bad again I messed up my terminology. I was meaning to say would i need to purchase a rear sight also? Not front sight! Sorry!
Yes if you already have a front sight just buy a rear and your good to go.
Magpul makes damn good rear sights . I own magpul, troy and diamond head and the magpul is my favorite just for function alone. To open push lever and it pops open. To close push down , no buttons to push or pins to pull. If it hits something it goes down and pops back up into position .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #25

Liked 252 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Got to agree, magpul rocks. I have several sets as backups on my optics rifles. I really don't like them as cowitness so I just fold them down out of the way. I use both front and rear magpuls mounted to my top rail. Saved a hog hunt when the gun came off the ATV and broke the scope mount. Gun was fine, cheap riser mount broke. resighted with the magpuls and the hunt goes forward.

Sweet system. Just make sure you don't get the airsoft Chinese knockoffs of the magpul. Looks the same, just doesn't work in a "real gun" enviroment! Amazon is bad about selling the airsofts as real magpul sights, beware

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-31-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Quote:
I just bought me a Del-Ton Echo 316 w/ Magpul and it already has a front sight. I was just planning on buying a rear sight but instead i am thinking a scope, red dot, something cheap but good. I sort of want something that will work with the front sight so i do not have to take it off, but any recommendations are helpful. Thanks!

For the vast majority of us plinkers a Tru Glo red dot sight will work great. They are made to stand up to shotgun recoil, so Tru Glo can handle AR recoil. I have two of the Tru Glo's, one on a Mossberg 715t and one on a PSA lightweight AR upper. Spent about $80 total for the pair of Tru Glo's.

YMMV.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #27

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 10-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #28

Liked 2181 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Alright im starting to get the picture. Since my gun does not even come with a rear sight would it be smart for me to buy a red dot and a rear sight? It just has a built in front sight
I would definitely get a rear sight first. It will get you out and shooting. You can shop around for a red dot later. It is nice to have a back-up iron sight anyway if your battery/red dot dies while your out in the woods or wherever.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #29

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I agree with SSGN_Doc and bet 90+% of us here also do. For most applications you do want a flip up rear sight. The MBUS2 is a great choice since it folds down and locks out of the way when you don't need it yet flips up easily when you need it. The icing on the cake: it only weighs about 2 oz.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I would definitely get a rear sight first. It will get you out and shooting. You can shop around for a red dot later. It is nice to have a back-up iron sight anyway if your battery/red dot dies while your out in the woods or wherever.
alright that's nice to know. And that's what I'll be doing!