Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > best red dot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Saw a guy selling 2 used eotech xps for $300 each.

If your budget is $250.......you may just want to swing that!

Think I saw it on m4carbine.net.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
Thanks mj.
I watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos last night and all were about the same, nothing but good reviews. I know it will never be an aimpoint but I have gone through 5 different brands of cheap red dot sights in just the last month and I just need something decent quality for under $100 (the wife has cut off my cash flow)
Add up those 4 plus this next one. How close would you be to an Aimpoint?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Add up those 4 plus this next one. How close would you be to an Aimpoint?
I am still at my $100 for my optics. I returned the crap ones to the store. But I do see your point.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978 View Post
I am still at my $100 for my optics. I returned the crap ones to the store. But I do see your point.
Glad to hear. I wasn't as smart and took quite a hit selling them off.

Do you like the larger optic? Have you taken a look at PAs micro?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see you have chosen a different sight, but for those interested in a red dot, the Sparc is awesome, especially for the price point. It holds zero perfectly and comes with a lifetime warranty. My AR tipped over on the bench while "resting" on a Caldwell sand bag type shooting rest-during a period when I was firing my .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk. I caught the AR before it toppled completely.....well, I saw it going over and tried to catch it with my weak hand while trying to keep the cocked Ruger safely pointed downrange etc, and I did not do a great job of catching the AR and merely bumped the weapon back in the opposite direction and the Sparc hit the concrete bench. At least the AR did not go to the ground and took no damage at all, but the sight hitting bent the metal around the rear eyepiece. I contacted Sparc and asked if it was replaceable and if I could buy one and they said "just send it in we will replace it free of charge."

This is after they already replaced the first one I bought, no questions asked, because I thought the red dot could be better.

Here is a pic of the damage I did to the ocular eyepiece. The dot and red halo are just a camera anomaly in the way it dealt with the light.......my old iPhone 3g camera. The dot is not quite that big and you don't see that halo.

I mean, I damage the sight through my own negligence and they repair it free of charge with no questions asked, not even proof/date of purchase? Doesn't get much better than that. Now I have a pair of #4 Butler Creek flip covers on it.

The Sparc comes with all the spacers you need and a 2X adaptor and yes it is easy to turn on under stress.

Primary Arms one looks good. I'd not heard of that one. Please give a review when you have used it.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #26

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

So far so good on my Primary Arms micro dot , quick to turn on under pressure , even in bright conditions the lowest setting is what I prefer simply because the dot just seems smaller , on max setting it is crazy bright and I will probably never use it there but its good to know it can be made much much brighter if needed . Seems pretty durable as I had a little bounce incident with mine and it still held zero , I have well over 500 rds thru it with this optic and so far so good still holding zero. Battery life seems good even after leaving it on in the case for a week on low power . Only thing I wish I would have done is ordered the 3X magnifier with it . Great red dot and the people at Primary are very good to deal with , I called to ask a couple questions about mounts and they were very polite and great help , Oh and they answered very quickly which doesnt happen very often any more . They will get my business again !!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Glad to hear. I wasn't as smart and took quite a hit selling them off.

Do you like the larger optic? Have you taken a look at PAs micro?
I was looking at the micro. Not sure if I like them yet. They are really small (micro). I do like the larger aimpoint style but that is all I know and is what I am comfortable shooting. I am sure there is better / lighter optics that what we were issued.
I see you like the micro you seem to have one on every AR you post. What are the advantages of the micro other than weight? Or is weight the main reason to get one?

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraga1978

I was looking at the micro. Not sure if I like them yet. They are really small (micro). I do like the larger aimpoint style but that is all I know and is what I am comfortable shooting. I am sure there is better / lighter optics that what we were issued.
I see you like the micro you seem to have one on every AR you post. What are the advantages of the micro other than weight? Or is weight the main reason to get one?
The glass is basically the same but with less bulk surrounding it. Weight is the biggest thing but the micros are easier to see around making vision down range better. I think they look cleaner as well.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just stopped inn and I might be ordering a primary arms this weekend thinks guys

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #30

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I personally like primary arms, but would warn that I did have a PA Micro that began to lose zero in the middle of a carbine course I was taking. PA's CS was great and replaced quickly tho.