Best Rail System?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best Rail System?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best Rail System?

I am currently working on a concept idea for a .50 Beowulf. I have most of the parts figured out but I need some advice on what the best rail system is to deal with the heavy recoil as well as look badass and scary. I prefer free float and rifle length but other than that I have no limits. The three I have been considering are: YHM Diamond rail, A.R.M.S Sir system, and the POF Predator system

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have theYHM Diamond rifle length hand guard...very solid mount ..one thing though is the diameter is pretty large so hopefully you have big hands like me...no experience with the other two guards that you listed but very happy with what YHM produced

Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

A rail system isn't going to help much with recoil, apart from an insanely heavy one, but the weight might help a little on the inertia side of the equation.

If you want to dampen recoil, muzzle brakes - like the ones Alexander Arms makes, are probably the way to go.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to float the barrel?

Will you take a lot of shots with that round past 200 yards?

Does the rail system have to be functional in any way or is it just for looks?

If you want a functional floated rail, I would look into the Troy Alpha Rail/Battle Rail/Whatever cool sounding name they call them now rail system.

If the rail is purely for looks and not for mounting stuff on, any rail would do.

If it were me, based on your rails under consideration, I would select the ARMS SIR.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
A rail system isn't going to help much with recoil, apart from an insanely heavy one, but the weight might help a little on the inertia side of the equation.

If you want to dampen recoil, muzzle brakes - like the ones Alexander Arms makes, are probably the way to go.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to float the barrel?

Will you take a lot of shots with that round past 200 yards?

Does the rail system have to be functional in any way or is it just for looks?

If you want a functional floated rail, I would look into the Troy Alpha Rail/Battle Rail/Whatever cool sounding name they call them now rail system.

If the rail is purely for looks and not for mounting stuff on, any rail would do.

If it were me, based on your rails under consideration, I would select the ARMS SIR.
The rail is mainly for looks but it also needs to function well. This will be both my "hey check this monster out" and my hog gun/ predator gun. I don't wanna be stuck in the middle of a stare down with a 300 lb hog or a really ticked off cougar on my property with a mediocre rail.
Free float is simply a matter of preference.
And when I referred to the heavy recoil I wasn't meaning that I wanted to use the rail to reduce recoil, I was saying I wanted a rail that could handle the heavy recoil without breaking or malfunctioning.
And yes I will be attaching accessories to the rail.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg3
I have theYHM Diamond rifle length hand guard...very solid mount ..one thing though is the diameter is pretty large so hopefully you have big hands like me...no experience with the other two guards that you listed but very happy with what YHM produced
I do have very large hands so that might be a really great choice. Do you know of any fore grips that are comfortable with large hands?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
jg3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSniper91395

I do have very large hands so that might be a really great choice. Do you know of any fore grips that are comfortable with large hands?
I use magpul's AFG and love how it feels...for the most part I use a thumb over the top grip. And the AFG fits in perfectly with that style for me

Old 04-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I don't have much experience with quad rails, but I can really recommend Daniel Defense lite rails. Very light and kind of rectangular shaped feels good in hand. I wear a size XL glove.

How much recoil does the 50 have? Can you compare it to a standard 5.56? or is it like shooting a 30.06?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I don't have much experience with quad rails, but I can really recommend Daniel Defense lite rails. Very light and kind of rectangular shaped feels good in hand. I wear a size XL glove.

How much recoil does the 50 have? Can you compare it to a standard 5.56? or is it like shooting a 30.06?
The .50 beo is about like a 20 ga with a slug . Not terrible for that big round

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

The .50 beo is about like a 20 ga with a slug . Not terrible for that big round
The tank brake I'm getting takes a little off that