Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best place To buy 6.8 barrels?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1296 View Post
I've talked to Ben at Bison, and yes I will be going with a 20" barrel chambered in 6.8. I don't care about weight, and I don't want a different caliber. Yes I'm shooting long distance and I want all the fps I can get. I appreciate the suggestion to go with Bison, they have been a lot of help in answering my questions and getting the barrel I need.
I'm not trying to criticize...well, not too much...it's all about staying informed. If you've talked with Ben, then you are informed. I'm just curious, with all the reading I've done with the 6.8 SPC cartridge, and opinions I've gotten from other 6.8 shooters and manufacturers, what did Ben tell you about using a 20" barrel other than getting the extra velocity?

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

+1 for Harrison at ARP. Mine shoots sub moa with factory ammo.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

20" will maximize my rang and add 50+ fps (depending on the load of course). It WILL add weight but that's not a concern of mine. I've already got several other calibers for varmint and hog hunting (including a couple other AR's) and basically this is going to be something new to hunt with. After emailing Bison and talking with the people at AR Performance, and speaking with a couple of 6.8 owners I'm confident with my decision.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome
16"is optimum, you might find 18"barrels, but as an owner of a 20" (now thankfully sold) all it is is weight. I shot exclusively out of my ARP 16" and my 20" just sat in the safe, not even a bench rifle anymore.

And not to cast stones, but if you knew what you needed, why ask? Call H at ARP - he'll discuss with you why he no longer offers a 20"...or call Ben at Bison. Obvioulsy those of us, like vmkeith, mjkeith or me have no idea what we're talking about.
ARP does offer an 18 and a 20. I spoke with them. They just don't make as many of them obviously because 16 are way more popular. I simply wouldn't want to have another 16, I like to have choices.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I wonder why 16" is more popular?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2004 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wonder why 16" is more popular?
The guy wants to build a 20. So let him build a 20 and stop hounding him.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
It's amazing how many $&@ holes are on here. You would think if I guy wanted to do something a little "out of the norm" that people would simply help him out and not be condescending. But apparently there's a few people on here that know everything there is to know about everything and what they say IS the "law".
I has nothing to do w/ you wanting to do something out of the norm. It's a pros vs. cons thing. You created this thread. If you didn't want the opinions of others you shouldn't have asked. We were trying to help you out you just didn't like what everyone had to say. You don't have to call names because people were honest and accurate in their advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The guy wants to build a 20. So let him build a 20 and stop hounding him.
Did you miss the question mark at the end of my sentence?Are we not allowed to ask questions anymore?

You comment on my question but make no reference to his name calling? As moderatoror don't you think that is a little odd considering this is a knowledge based forum? Kinda sounds like someone is being singled out. Fair and impartial?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #18

Liked 4545 Times on 2197 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I has nothing to do w/ you wanting to do something out of the norm. It's a pros vs. cons thing. You created this thread. If you didn't want the opinions of others you shouldn't have asked. We were trying to help you out you just didn't like what everyone had to say. You don't have to call names because people were honest and accurate in their advise.

Did you miss the question mark at the end of my sentence?Are we not allowed to ask questions anymore?

You comment on my question but make no reference to his name calling? As moderatoror don't you think that is a little odd considering this is a knowledge based forum? Kinda sounds like someone is being singled out. Fair and impartial?
The OP asked for advice on where to get a 20" barrel for his 6.8 build. He did not request opinions on his preferred length. Regardless, he followed unsolicited advice by talking to the recommended manufacturers and still wants his 20" barrel. Nuff Said...Geeze.

Mod was perfectly inbounds suggesting you back off, IMHO.

Fireman, good luck with your build.

All, someone asked about the benifit of the extra 4"?
...Answer, ONE HAPPY LADY!

Tack

Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
20" will maximize my rang and add 50+ fps (depending on the load of course). It WILL add weight but that's not a concern of mine. I've already got several other calibers for varmint and hog hunting (including a couple other AR's) and basically this is going to be something new to hunt with. After emailing Bison and talking with the people at AR Performance, and speaking with a couple of 6.8 owners I'm confident with my decision.
Fireman, since you are set on getting a 20" barrel make sure you are getting the correct gas system length. With the 20" barrel, I believe you need go with a full rifle length, but don't quote me on that.

One question, are you doing this build yourself or just putting in an order with Bison Armory? Either way, good luck. I'll be curious about your results, especially if you're building the rifle for long range, so give us a range report when you're finished.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I will assure you that I will have nothing to do with anything you post, i wouldn't take the advice of anybody that comes off as a know it all regardless of if you are are not. I'd appreciate if you'd do the same.
Show me one single instance where I claimed to know it all.

How many people in this thread said the same thing I did? Thconsensusus was that the extra 50 fps is not worth the cons produces by the extra length. The fact that the two most well know manufacturers of 6.8 don't offer it on their site.

I asked a simple question as to the popularity of the 16" 6.8 barrel. I don't care that you called us all names. It's going to happen when people ask questions and don't care to hear the answers. It's a public forum and humans winstinctivelyivly share their opinions.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Closed Thread