Best place To buy 6.8 barrels?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best place To buy 6.8 barrels?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best place To buy 6.8 barrels?

Who makes the best barrels in 6.8? I need a 20 inch... I heard good things about AR Performance but they aren't making anything longer than 16 inches right now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1296 View Post
Who makes the best barrels in 6.8? I need a 20 inch... I heard good things about AR Performance but they aren't making anything longer than 16 inches right now.
There's a reason. There is no real benefit by going that long.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for a good manufacturer. I know what I need for my build.

Last edited by fireman1296; 02-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1296 View Post
I didn't ask for an opinion, I asked for a good manufacturer. I know what I need for my build.
It's not an opinion. ARP is a great manufacturer and they don't make a 20" barrel for a reason. The owner is a very knowledgeable person and I'm sure he'd be willing to educate you.

So tell me what you think you'll gain w/ the added length besides weight? And I'm not wanting opinion.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

For 6.8 SPC barrels, I would look into Harrison from AR Performance, Ben from Bison Armory, Noveske, Lothar Wather, or White Oaks Armament. I don't know if you'll find a 20" barrels though. There is no significant advantages in the ballistics of the 6.8 SPC round in longer barrels as there are in other calibers, but to each there own. Should you find something different, just make sure the barrels are manufactured with the latest SPC II specs and have a minimum of 1:11 barrel twist.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

BTW, if you want to ask Harrison (AR performance) or Ben (Bison Armory), you should have an easier time getting ahold of them through the 68forums...just google it.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

16"is optimum, you might find 18"barrels, but as an owner of a 20" (now thankfully sold) all it is is weight. I shot exclusively out of my ARP 16" and my 20" just sat in the safe, not even a bench rifle anymore.

And not to cast stones, but if you knew what you needed, why ask? Call H at ARP - he'll discuss with you why he no longer offers a 20"...or call Ben at Bison. Obvioulsy those of us, like vmkeith, mjkeith or me have no idea what we're talking about.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #8

As was mentioned, 16" barrels are optimum for the 6.8 SPC cartridge. You'll only get an extra 25-50 fps in velocity out of an 18" barrel, and 50-75 fps out of a 20" barrel. I don't see any reason for wanting a 20" barrel except for long range shooting, and if that is your purpose, you should seek a different caliber. The 6.8 SPC was designed as an intermediate, medium range round. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of extreme 6.8 fanatics trying to extend the round's capabilities, but it has taken a lot of trial and error.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've talked to Ben at Bison, and yes I will be going with a 20" barrel chambered in 6.8. I don't care about weight, and I don't want a different caliber. Yes I'm shooting long distance and I want all the fps I can get. I appreciate the suggestion to go with Bison, they have been a lot of help in answering my questions and getting the barrel I need.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So what did he say you'd gain by going w/ the extra 4"?

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Closed Thread