Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Best longterm lubricant for an AR (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/best-longterm-lubricant-ar-90193/)

BigBizz87 05-06-2013 02:40 AM

Best longterm lubricant for an AR

what is the best lube to use for an AR im trying to find something that wont dissipate over a couple hundred rounds something i can have for long range runs or just sitting in the safe ready to go need opinions please

Anna_Purna 05-06-2013 02:43 AM

many people like Mobile 1 motor oil

MTHunter 05-06-2013 02:45 AM

I always use hoppes 9 never had problems with it dissipating.

BigBizz87 05-06-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHunter (Post 1238206)
I always use hoppes 9 never had problems with it dissipating.

That what I run right now and I've used it along time but it seems to get to thin and leaks all out of the gun until is dry inside and soaked on the outside and that's just sitting in a safe for a few days trying to find something thicker

kbd512 05-06-2013 04:04 AM

If you want to run an AR hard you grease it just like a M1 or M14.

Use a high temperature bearing grease or something similar that doesn't break down at normal AR operating temperatures.

There are higher-tech solutions to the problem, like XF-7, but any high temp bearing grease that's not loaded with PTFE should do the trick.

Just like the high temp greases, Mobil 1 synthetic won't break down at AR operating temperatures, but just like other relatively low viscosity lubricants it can run off if left in the safe for any length of time.

Light oils work well for light shooting and they're cheap and readily available. That said, the high temp greases work better for heavier firing schedules and lubricants like XF-7 don't attract dust and grit if applied as directed.

JonM 05-06-2013 04:25 AM

i use 30weight motor oil when im actually shooting clp for storage and cleaning.

gun greases work well as well.

i just find that motor oil is the easiest to use. i use grease on my ccw guns prevents oil stains in my clothes.

bamashooter68 05-06-2013 09:15 AM

I have an old tube of Gunslick Anhydrous Graphitic Lubricant. Its black grease that stays where you put it. So far its the only lubricant Ive used on my Delton and haven't had any malfunctions. Im not sure they even make this stuff anymore. Its in a silver tube stored in a red box. Its a small .20oz tube but a little goes a long way. Sooner or later Im gonna have to find a similar product. I have used 5-30 mobil one synthetic, remoil, hoppes and I mainly use CLP for cleaning. I bought a Otis cable pull thru kit that came with a small tube of 085 UltraBore that seems to work pretty well.

sputnik1988 05-06-2013 09:30 AM

I really like frog lube, it soaks into the metal so as it heats up it lubricates itself.

JerryOnly 05-07-2013 11:36 PM

I'm a fan of a combo of slip2000 products EWL and EWG I use the "extreme weapons lube" to relube during class' and on the bolt "rib" itself during mild winter months and the "extreme weapons grease" on the carrier "pads" cam pin also thin layer on bolt rib in warmer months.. I really like the grease and usually that exclusively unless squirting lube into the vent holes during high round counts which then I use the EWL.