Best Load for an AR 20" FF Heavy 1 in 8

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best Load for an AR 20" FF Heavy 1 in 8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5006 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Best Load for an AR 20" FF Heavy 1 in 8

Ok fellas,

This question is for serious handloaders and guys who shoot beyond 100 yards. What is the optimal bullet weight for resisting 10 to 15 mph wind gust when firing the .223/5.56 rifle described below?

I'm cutting sub moa groups, 3/4" at 100 and 1-3/4" at 300 with my new 20" FF heavy 1/8 twist, upper receiver for my AR.

The range safety who watched me firing at 300 last Sunday suggested I come out for the next 300 yard competition.

The groups described above were achieved with 55 grain .223 rem, both PMC Bronze and Federal Facotor reloads.

My concern is that the 55 grain is a light bullet and though last Sunday's winds were light, no more that 5 mph, 10 to 15 mph gusts are fairly common at Clark Rifles so I'm thinking a heavier load for competition might be prudent.

I'd like some suggestion so I can get back to the range and try some different brands in the suggested weights to see how they group for me.

I do not currently load .223/5.56 so please keep suggestions to commercaily available rounds.

Thanks,

TACK

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

I am not a serious handloader, but I do do it. A heavier bullet drifts less. Since you are not reloading, options are kinda limited. i dont have a book in front of me, but sierra makes a .224 in a 90gr. not sure if it will work in a AR with out my book though. just look for a heavy gr factory load.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 05-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

If you are getting that accuracy at 300 with the 55's then stick with it. Learn how to judge wind and compensate for it if you are going to compete. 80-90 grainers are over-kill at 300. Since you don't handload then prepare to pay a premium for any good factory ammo. Try Black Hills Ammo if you can find it.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

I really like to shoot 69gr BTHP Match bullets out of mine,but I load all my ammo.You can get factory Match ammo,but open your wallet WIDE,it isn't cheap.
Hornady 75gr AMax bullets shoot really good.I don't know if you can get any factory ammo with them.
Wolf does make a 75gr Match ammo,but I haven't had very good accuracy with it,their 62gr HP ammo shoots good out of my AR's,along with the 62gr HP Brown Bear.

I load Sierra 80gr BTHP Match bullets,but you have to shoot them as a single shot.They are too long to fit into the magazine.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #5

Liked 5006 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
If you are getting that accuracy at 300 with the 55's then stick with it. Learn how to judge wind and compensate for it if you are going to compete. 80-90 grainers are over-kill at 300. Since you don't handload then prepare to pay a premium for any good factory ammo. Try Black Hills Ammo if you can find it.
Thanks fellas, sound like a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" so I'll stay with the 55's and call it good.

TACK