You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Best entry level gun! Completely new to AR's!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best entry level gun! Completely new to AR's!

Ive been looking at the DPMS Oracle and the Bushmaster Superlight! Im trying to stay around the $800 range for now. Im just trying to see if I enjoy the guns before I make a major investment into one.

I apologize for making one of these posts. I know you guys probably get this alot. But this seemed like best place to ask.

Heres the two im looking at.

DPMS Oracle

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

Bushmaster Superlight

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles

Just want to say thanks for all youre help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 498 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Look at the Vendors here, there are good prices on entry level AR's.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Do you have an extra $100? If so you can purchase the only AR you'll ever NEED. Now want is an entirely different story. I always seem to find another use that requires purchasing a totaly different style AR.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 1709

mjkeat, is right... if your budget is $800 for entry level, why not aim your sights a little higher and get all the gun you need. It will cost you a little more but your real investment is research and a lot of it if you don't want to make blunders. If you do your homework there's no reason why your first AR can't be all you need, if not all you want.

Right now is a good time to buy, overall high quality by many manufacturers, good prices and shorter wait times than in the past. I just built an AR that's all I need for about $900 (before optics) with high quality parts and the configuration I wanted.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

I would side with Quentin and Mjkeat about a lot more quality for a little more money. But if you are set on a budget AR I would look at Del-ton from Cold Hand Arms Del-Ton AR-15 Mid-Length COMPLETE Rifle Kit [DTI-15] - $549.00 : Cold Hand Arms, From our COLD DEAD HANDS. You would be stepping up in quality and saving $250. These kits are a breeze to assemble. And lots of good reviews. My del-ton has worked great so far, eats any ammo and no malfunctions. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

Honestly, Im just getting into shooting. And I dont know alot about the guns. I started out with a few handguns. And I went out and shot a friends AR 15 and I had a blast. He owns a DPMS oracel. And I just had an absolute blast shooting the rifle. Im going to buy one on the 18th and I am looking for the best buy for my money. I dont know much about the guns but I want to learn and I want to become a huge fan of the hobby. Im also looking to get into reloading my own ammunition as well.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Listen to the advise in this thread then. Not only will you end up w/ a better rifle you're getting a better value for your money.

It sounds like a standard mid length BCM w/ plastic hand guards and OE collapsible stock would suit you fine. Order the lower and upper separately to safe on taxes.