best bolt carrier group - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > best bolt carrier group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Tikki,

after talking with you and reading this thread, I just ordered a BCM, I figured since I had I BCM upper, and barrel that I might as well keep it in the family.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

+1 on the bcm bcg.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #33

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake86
Thanks Tikki, after talking with you and reading this thread, I just ordered a BCM, I figured since I had I BCM upper, and barrel that I might as well keep it in the family.
good call. I would get a PSA premium full auto next time they go on sale. Always good to have a spare.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
good call. I would get a PSA premium full auto next time they go on sale. Always good to have a spare.
Why don't you get Spike's? Rogtac has them on sale.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #35

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I just read that BCM's bolt carrier groups are manufactured by a shop called Microbest. Very non-descript machine shop serving variety of industries.

Same shop supplies BCG's to: LMT, Colt, Wilson Combat, Smith & Wesson, and some others

Based on that I'm guessing the BCG in my MP15 is the same one you get when you buy a 'BCM". Or a Colt, etc. (That is, unless the materials or manufacturing methods vary from one 'brand' to the next, but I doubt it?). Suspect this is the case with a lot of these parts.....branding and marketing obviously work!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #36

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I just read that BCM's bolt carrier groups are manufactured by a shop called Microbest. Very non-descript machine shop serving variety of industries.

Same shop supplies BCG's to: LMT, Colt, Wilson Combat, Smith & Wesson, and some others

Based on that I'm guessing the BCG in my MP15 is the same one you get when you buy a 'BCM". Or a Colt, etc. (That is, unless the materials or manufacturing methods vary from one 'brand' to the next, but I doubt it?). Suspect this is the case with a lot of these parts.....branding and marketing obviously work!
Ok, say Company A and Company B order the same type of part from the same machine shop.

Company A says they want it machined such and such way, and must be inspected, polished, phosphated then inspected again, then each individual unit must be high pressure tested (shot from a gun with overpressured ammunition), then magnetic particle tested, then go through final inspection. All paperwork and documentation must be kept for each unit, and stats kept for any failures found along the way.

Company B says they want their units machined, but not finished and sent to them for in house finishing and branding. No testing needed.

Which unit costs more to produce? Which unit is higher quality? Are the units produced by the same machine shop with different specifications the same?

I hope you see the difference.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ok, say Company A and Company B order the same type of part from the same machine shop.

Company A says they want it machined such and such way, and must be inspected, polished, phosphated then inspected again, then each individual unit must be high pressure tested (shot from a gun with overpressured ammunition), then magnetic particle tested, then go through final inspection. All paperwork and documentation must be kept for each unit, and stats kept for any failures found along the way.

Company B says they want their units machined, but not finished and sent to them for in house finishing and branding. No testing needed.

Which unit costs more to produce? Which unit is higher quality? Are the units produced by the same machine shop with different specifications the same?

I hope you see the difference.
I see what you suppose might be the difference. If that is indeed what they do, then great. But if you have not been there or know for a fact that they simply aren't just sorted at the end by final destination, well it's basically just a hope at that point. This kind of stuff goes on all the time. I have seen it first hand on more than one occasion.

Am I sure that a BCM BCG is the exact same as what I have in my S&W? No. But, outside of a plant visit, I seriously doubt you can be sure that it isn't. Besides, last time I checked nobody was complaining about S&W quality anywhere.....

Old 10-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #38

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
I see what you suppose might be the difference. If that is indeed what they do, then great. But if you have not been there or know for a fact that they simply aren't just sorted at the end by final destination, well it's basically just a hope at that point. This kind of stuff goes on all the time. I have seen it first hand on more than one occasion.

Am I sure that a BCM BCG is the exact same as what I have in my S&W? No. But, outside of a plant visit, I seriously doubt you can be sure that it isn't. Besides, last time I checked nobody was complaining about S&W quality anywhere.....
There was stink about this a while back. IIRC on M4Carbine.net . People where saying the same thing you were. The owner of BCM came online and produced individual test sheets for each BCG.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
There was stink about this a while back. IIRC on M4Carbine.net . People where saying the same thing you were. The owner of BCM came online and produced individual test sheets for each BCG.
I won't pretend to know what you do about these rifles. On a broader spectrum, I have seen a lot of 'name brand' rip offs at machine shops, in the food industry, garment industry the auto industry etc. surely if the material were different (boron ie) yeah not same stuff.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Am I sure that a BCM BCG is the exact same as what I have in my S&W? No.
I've seen and used enough to feel BCM is of higher than average quality.

But the first question I might ask, is whether your S&W's BCG has an M16 carrier? If it's not (I believe most S&W's don't), that would make it immediately different. Is the S&W's bolt Carpenter 158 steel?

I'm not certain of the answers to these questions and only ask to point you in the direction of answering your own question. A lot of cheap AR parts and expensive/trendy options are made under the same rooves. And in some cases I'd imagine you're right about there being a great deal of overlap with regard to actual quality. But BCG's are a bit of a different monster in my opinion. The specific materials, testing, tolerances, etc can vary greatly.