best bolt carrier group - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

best bolt carrier group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1191 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
You know honestly, I had a couple DD BCGs and they looked real clean. Too clean. It didn't look test fired. The couple of PSA premium bcgs (shot peened, hp mp carp 158) that I or my friends purchase were pretty dirty as were the BCMs (purchased straight from BCM).

Guess what I'm saying (and this goes with everyone) I have only seen BCM say that they individually test each bolt HP/MP. PSA's premiums look like they were individually tested. Everyone else claiming HP MP testing may only batch test, not individually test. I haven't done much digging. I've had personal experience with LMT, BCM, PSA, Spike's, Young's NM, JP,
and a Black Rain Ordinance. I've only had a problem with the BRO (maybe an out of spec firing pin) and the Young's (needed an extractor insert to get it working properly).

I did forget to add LMT to my orginal list. They are pretty much milspec everything but doesn't have any markings on it.
Same here, I've seen four PSA, one the premium with logo and HPT/MPI, and my DD and all were clean. Oh, and an ArmaLite. Only my two BCMs were dirty, like they should be.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #22

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm sorry, I mixed it up...... I need to change that......only the BCM was dirty.

All the others even the PSA were too clean and bone dry.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #23

Liked 2056 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord1985
I have a fail zero nickel boron with zero issues sorry to hear about the bad test. I also have a run of the mill no-name 158 carpenter BCG (properly staked) from aimsurplus as a backup. Both function the same the nickel cleans up a bit easier but not easier enough to justify the $150 price difference. Save your coin for other high price upgrades like trigger or optic. With that all being said I have not heard any bad reviews on the spikes nickel BCG if you're stuck on the bling. Ask yourself ... Does your car run with factory rims? Or do you need chrome 20s ? Are those rims for you, and do they make it ride better? or just a way to show off to everyone else on the block?
Heck the firearms industry the auto industry the musical instrument industry all would do half as much business if people didn't buy stuff to impress others!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've had good luck with Palmetto State Armory BCG's .. Run just under 2 bills.. But seem solid .. No complaints

Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #25

Liked 289 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Same here, I've seen four PSA, one the premium with logo and HPT/MPI, and my DD and all were clean. Oh, and an ArmaLite. Only my two BCMs were dirty, like they should be.
I would trust a DD untested before a bunch of other companies that had been fired. BCM, PSA, DD, Colt, and Armalite are all good companies to be compared to.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I had my DD bolt crack on me. It was at a strange spot - where the flat head of the firing pin slaps the little lip of the bolt. The bolt chipped off a little, didn't affect functionality.

But I called then up, and less than a week I have a brand new whole BCG sitting on the doorstep - exchanged completely free of charge. I ordered a PSA BCG one as a backup, and it's easy to see the difference in quality between DD and PSA. Not saying that the PSA's are bad by any means, but the Daniel Defense is just so much smoother and nicer looking.

That being said, the DD will be going back in the rifle even after the chip on the first bolt. I still trust DD more.

Last edited by 01bullitt; 10-03-2013 at 08:10 AM.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1191 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

My unmarked DD carrier is nicely polished, especially the rails. PSA tends to be rough but you can smooth up the rails which I think is a good idea. My BCMs are somewhere in between but smoothed up nice.

I also had a problem with my DD, the extractor, so I replaced it with a BCM extractor.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #28

Liked 339 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I wouldn't have any trouble trusting any of the Carpenter 158 BCGs from BCM, LMT, PSA, DD, Spike's, Noveske, etc. Most of these can be found for $140-200. The PSA can often be found for darn close to $100...just avoid their cheapest '8620' (not C158) version.

BCM is my go-to. They're about $200, delivered. Extremely high demand means they're not always easy to get and rarely available at a reduced price.

PSA is arguably where your funds will go the farthest, provided you jump on a great sale. Their top-flight $190 BCGs are commonly on sale in the $100-140 range. And they're plenty good.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With BCM you can't go wrong.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #30

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I've used Rainier Arms, Spikes, PSA, LMT, BCM, DD, Young's, JP, RRA chrome, and Black Rain Ordinance.

The RA Thunderbolt HP MP C158, had cycling issues as the gas rings were damage after only a couple mags. Even with bad rings it was cycling milspec stuff, just not the underpowered russians. After a new set of rings and judicious lubing, it ran like a champ. I honestly think that I underlubed it and borked the rings.

The Spikes Tactical HP MP C158 rain like a champ no issues, but the whole Spike's upper as a whole was over gassed.

The Young's needed an o-ring to extract. After which it ran like a champ but only used it for like 100 rounds as I had it on a precision build so only shot like 100 rounds through it. (that heavy 223 ammo is expensive >.< )

The JP bolt is 9310 not Carpenter 158. Only have a couple hundred rounds through so I can't say too much, but the LMOS system is effin incredible. 9310 is supposedly more expensive and tougher than C158. I honestly want to put them in ALL my ARS. But GD they are expensive.

The RRA Chrome haven't had a issue in the 3+ years I've had it and lauched thousands of rounds through it. Its my only semi auto carrier, I don't know the specs. It's still bright shiny and pretty. But it cost me alot more than my standard milspec MP HP C158. Would I buy another one? Naw, I'd rather have a PSA Premium and 10 boxes of ammo, thank you.

The BCM LMT DD PSA all HP MP C158 no issues with prolly over 1k round through each.

The Black Rain Ordinance Nickel Boron had what I believe was an out of spec firing pin issue. Too many failure to fires to adequately formulate an opinion.

Honestly, the carrier doesn't really matter (except the lightweight LMOS). The coatings don't matter. Only the Bolt assembly matters.

IIRC only the LMT and BCM came in brand new, but dirty, just like it should be if it was individually tested. This is not to say that ther others touting HP MP testing weren't individually tested, then maybe cleaned. But more likely they are only batch tested.

The only difference between a good bolt and a bad bolt, is how long they are gonna last before a stoppage. If you are going to use your rifle in a way that a stoppage could mean the difference between life and death, I'd put my money into a HP MP C158 bolt, if only for peace of mind.

But I'm really loving this LMOS system.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-09-2013 at 05:08 AM.