best bolt carrier group - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > best bolt carrier group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1
Im seeing some excellent advice, and would like to thank you all. i noticed someone mentioned nickel boron, and was wondering who makes the lowest priced quality version. A link for purchase would be excellent.

http://www.failzero.com/buynow/m16-4-products/m16-4-bcg-kit-with-semi-auto-hammer-detail.html

There's your nickel boron. Fail zero is second to none plus it includes a coated hammer.

You can find a spikes nickel boron on brownells or aimsurplus for about the same but usually they don't include a hammer

Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Bcm.

My pref is phosphate coating it holds lube better than speciality coatings. Keep your bcg lubed with 30w motor oil all it will ever need for cleaning is a quick wipe if you choose to do the minimum. I think special coatings are a waste.

I do have two chromed bcg from rra but it was a free option when I bought the uppers. Otherwise I would have just got a regular phosphated bcm bcg.

When I ordered my krieger barrel they normally ask for the bolt the barrel is being used with. They make exceptions for colt and bcm bolts as the tolerances are in spec so they can just use a milspec bolt and its a non issue and I didn't have to send mine in.

I think bcm followed close by colt are the best bcg out there

A little bit back one of our vendors passed around a failzero bcg and it made it to the second person before it failed... I put zero faith into a company that markets the coatings over the materials and construction.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 09-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
iirc DD doesn't mp/hp their bolts ...
The DD BCG I got in 2010 the bolt wasn't marked HP or MP nor did the carrier have the DD logo. DD claimed they were HP/MP though. That was common at the time but I think they are marked today. OKDonk has talked about both types and we know he's seen a few DDs go through his hands!

I think DD's Ambush Arms chromed BCG comes with a SA carrier while every phosphated DD I've seen is FA.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #14

Liked 274 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord1985 View Post
http://www.failzero.com/buynow/m16-4-products/m16-4-bcg-kit-with-semi-auto-hammer-detail.html

There's your nickel boron. Fail zero is second to none plus it includes a coated hammer.

You can find a spikes nickel boron on brownells or aimsurplus for about the same but usually they don't include a hammer
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

A Fail Zero BCG was passed around to some members of this forum, and the above link is the result of their range reports. Wasn't pretty. This may not be typical of Fail Zero products, but QC is important in firearms. My suggestion, if you want a coated BCG, get a POF upper. They have been doing it longer.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #15

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jord1985 View Post

I have a fail zero m16 bcg and it doesn't function any different than my phosphate coated m16 bcg as long as it is maintained some.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

A Fail Zero BCG was passed around to some members of this forum, and the above link is the result of their range reports. Wasn't pretty. This may not be typical of Fail Zero products, but QC is important in firearms. My suggestion, if you want a coated BCG, get a POF upper. They have been doing it longer.
That's a good point, two specially coated BCGs were passed around, Black Rain and Fail Zero, but had QC problems that ended the test. You'd expect that with a Stoner BCG but these are highly touted expensive models. Very disappointing. I've had no problems like that with my own BCGs.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 254 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Never seen a colt bolt carrier fail. Not saying they don't because anything can fail, but just never seen it happen. I am not really knowledgable on other brands, except for their marketing but I take marketing very lightly.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #18

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The DD BCG I got in 2010 the bolt wasn't marked HP or MP nor did the carrier have the DD logo. DD claimed they were HP/MP though. That was common at the time but I think they are marked today. OKDonk has talked about both types and we know he's seen a few DDs go through his hands!
You know honestly, I had a couple DD BCGs and Palmetto State Premiums. and they looked real clean. Too clean. It didn't look test fired. ONLY the BCM bcgs (shot peened, hp mp carp 158) that I or my friends purchase were pretty dirty and lubed. Just as if they were tested.

Guess what I'm saying (and this goes with everyone) I have only seen BCM say that they individually test each bolt HP/MP. Everyone else claiming HP MP testing may only batch test, not individually test. I haven't done much digging. I've had personal experience with LMT, BCM, PSA, Spike's, Young's NM, JP, and a Black Rain Ordinance Nickel Boron. I've only had a problem with the BRO (maybe an out of spec firing pin) and the Young's (needed an extractor insert to get it working properly).

I did forget to add LMT to my orginal list. They are pretty much milspec everything but doesn't have any markings on it.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #19

Liked 339 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Never seen a colt bolt carrier fail. Not saying they don't because anything can fail, but just never seen it happen. I am not really knowledgable on other brands, except for their marketing but I take marketing very lightly.

True, I've yet to see a carrier fail. But I've seen lotsa bolts fail.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #20

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

I have a fail zero nickel boron with zero issues sorry to hear about the bad test. I also have a run of the mill no-name 158 carpenter BCG (properly staked) from aimsurplus as a backup. Both function the same the nickel cleans up a bit easier but not easier enough to justify the $150 price difference. Save your coin for other high price upgrades like trigger or optic.

With that all being said I have not heard any bad reviews on the spikes nickel BCG if you're stuck on the bling.

Ask yourself ... Does your car run with factory rims? Or do you need chrome 20s ? Are those rims for you, and do they make it ride better? or just a way to show off to everyone else on the block?