Best bipod for ~$30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best bipod for ~$30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Best bipod for ~$30

Went out to the range for first time and enjoyed it. I bought a small rail in which I screwed into my magpul hand guard. Now I am looking for a good cheap bipod. Any opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Sand bags are better.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Sand bags are better.
Quoted for truth. Backpacks & range bags work well too.

Cheap bipods are generally not so hot. And I'm not a fan of bipods on my ARs, period. Seems like extra bulk with limited potential. Just a personal preference thing.

$30: This is about what you can get
$35-55: Winchester, Piney Mountain, Stoney Point options can be found online or even at Walmart for around $40 (heard they're decent)... this one sounds okay.
$60-90: Harris

Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I bought a couple from Midway a year or so ago when they was on sale and I think they were around $25 at the time and I have used one of them and it works pretty well. They are Caldwell XLA's. They are the 6" to 9". I did have to do about 2 minutes of file work to make it fit right. Actually I have been thinking about having another giveaway and have one of them for the prize.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Im actually in the process of doing away with bipods all together. I found that a good bag/ sandbag, is much more versatile, and cost effective. I have 4 rifles that i shoot from a bench, not including my ar15 and m1a. Swapping out bipods becomes very tedious, and multiple 90 dollar harris' definately add up. Cheaper bipods dont generally come with notched legs, spring loaded etc. You will realize they become quite the headache to get adjusted on the fly.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I agree that if all your going to do is shoot off a bench then sand bags, mechanical rest or a rolled up jacket wll work fine. I have a Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest and rear bag that is very steady but it also weighs 19 lbs. If you think you will be on the move then I think bipods are the way to go. The bipod I mentioned above has spring loaded legs and it does have notches for adjustment. I have two Harris bipods to compare it to and its very well made and I just looked on Midwayusa and it sells for $36.99.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Walmart sells an insulated seat cushion that is very light and will double for a sandbag in the field. Use Styrofoam pellets or Airsoft ammo instead of sand which is too heavy to pack around. I have also used rice to pack a "sandbag" and it works very well but still too heavy. I do have several bipods including a Harris but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Check Out The Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco141414 View Post
Went out to the range for first time and enjoyed it. I bought a small rail in which I screwed into my magpul hand guard. Now I am looking for a good cheap bipod. Any opinions?
I was looking into purchasing an inexpensive bipod myself recently, and after checking out the customer reviews on some of them, I came to the conclusion that while some people will give negative feedback on even the highest quality products, too many negative replies given to a particular problem area on a given bipod deserved my attention.

I have too much invested in my AR to find myself cursing out a broken bipod when for a little more money I could have gotten a proven one to start with.

I went with a pivot style Harris, partly because of where I mostly use it.

This YouTube review might be helpful.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Agreed to what sweeper22 said about the NcStar precision bipod. You can get it on eBay or Amazon. I have one and it's okay. .