Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Best bipod for ~$30 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/best-bipod-30-a-100224/)

Bronco141414 11-11-2013 05:01 PM

Best bipod for ~$30

Went out to the range for first time and enjoyed it. I bought a small rail in which I screwed into my magpul hand guard. Now I am looking for a good cheap bipod. Any opinions?

SSGN_Doc 11-11-2013 05:04 PM

Sand bags are better.

sweeper22 11-11-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1428978)
Sand bags are better.

Quoted for truth. Backpacks & range bags work well too.

Cheap bipods are generally not so hot. And I'm not a fan of bipods on my ARs, period. Seems like extra bulk with limited potential. Just a personal preference thing.

$30: This is about what you can get
$35-55: Winchester, Piney Mountain, Stoney Point options can be found online or even at Walmart for around $40 (heard they're decent)... this one sounds okay.
$60-90: Harris

string1946 11-12-2013 09:17 PM

I bought a couple from Midway a year or so ago when they was on sale and I think they were around $25 at the time and I have used one of them and it works pretty well. They are Caldwell XLA's. They are the 6" to 9". I did have to do about 2 minutes of file work to make it fit right. Actually I have been thinking about having another giveaway and have one of them for the prize.

ccrow175 11-12-2013 10:49 PM

Im actually in the process of doing away with bipods all together. I found that a good bag/ sandbag, is much more versatile, and cost effective. I have 4 rifles that i shoot from a bench, not including my ar15 and m1a. Swapping out bipods becomes very tedious, and multiple 90 dollar harris' definately add up. Cheaper bipods dont generally come with notched legs, spring loaded etc. You will realize they become quite the headache to get adjusted on the fly.

string1946 11-13-2013 01:08 PM

I agree that if all your going to do is shoot off a bench then sand bags, mechanical rest or a rolled up jacket wll work fine. I have a Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest and rear bag that is very steady but it also weighs 19 lbs. If you think you will be on the move then I think bipods are the way to go. The bipod I mentioned above has spring loaded legs and it does have notches for adjustment. I have two Harris bipods to compare it to and its very well made and I just looked on Midwayusa and it sells for $36.99.

JTJ 11-13-2013 01:32 PM

Walmart sells an insulated seat cushion that is very light and will double for a sandbag in the field. Use Styrofoam pellets or Airsoft ammo instead of sand which is too heavy to pack around. I have also used rice to pack a "sandbag" and it works very well but still too heavy. I do have several bipods including a Harris but they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

BRL 11-13-2013 03:32 PM

Check Out The Reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco141414 (Post 1428977)
Went out to the range for first time and enjoyed it. I bought a small rail in which I screwed into my magpul hand guard. Now I am looking for a good cheap bipod. Any opinions?

I was looking into purchasing an inexpensive bipod myself recently, and after checking out the customer reviews on some of them, I came to the conclusion that while some people will give negative feedback on even the highest quality products, too many negative replies given to a particular problem area on a given bipod deserved my attention.

I have too much invested in my AR to find myself cursing out a broken bipod when for a little more money I could have gotten a proven one to start with.

I went with a pivot style Harris, partly because of where I mostly use it.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/...0/th_016-2.jpg

This YouTube review might be helpful.

okdonk 11-17-2013 05:51 AM

Agreed to what sweeper22 said about the NcStar precision bipod. You can get it on eBay or Amazon. I have one and it's okay. :).