Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > best assault rifle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I've seen it effectively stop enemy combatants almost every time, I just don't like how many shots I've seen it take.

And for the drugs, the worst case I've seen was a man shot in the face 6 times with a SAW, I got to see it up close. He was no longer functional, but he was still alive, heart beating, breathing, responsive to pain stimulus. That was all opium doing the living. He didn't survive for very long, it took about 20 minutes for his opium fueled body to figure out it shouldn't still be kicking.
There always are exceptions, there was a guy back in the '50s hit around 25 times by an AK and survived. Not much of a life after that but survived. However in general, you get hit center mass with a 5.56, the fight is out of you and you're going down.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #42

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well my experiences and yours are apparently just entirely different.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #43

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

And I threw the opium headshot out there specifically as an example of how drugs can affect some people, not really as an argument against the effectiveness of the round.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #44
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Reading thru this...i have nothing to impart as i am sorely lacking in the "assault weapon" "Black gun" arena. Shot a few, they are fun. The one i have the most experience with is the CETME .308...overall opinion is they are heavy....wasnt overly impressed.

Is there a reason i havent seen the AR-10 mentioned...or is this a strictly Military issue type discussion.

Just trying to learn as i am in the market for one of these critters and really dont want the AR-15 and the .223 round...not a fan. i want some azz behind my shots.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #45

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks to NATO se cant use the ammo you did in Nam quentin. Your bullets back then actaully exploded. That and you guys got to shoot ball ammo. All the **** i was givin for my m4 was fmj and tracers and mags end. If they would let our soldiers use HP then it wouldnt really be a big deal. Do it say every other round in a mag/belt be a HP and everyone would be happy. Well except the NATO love your fellow man, dont hurt him to bad hippies.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
Reading thru this...i have nothing to impart as i am sorely lacking in the "assault weapon" "Black gun" arena. Shot a few, they are fun. The one i have the most experience with is the CETME .308...overall opinion is they are heavy....wasnt overly impressed.

Is there a reason i havent seen the AR-10 mentioned...or is this a strictly Military issue type discussion.

Just trying to learn as i am in the market for one of these critters and really dont want the AR-15 and the .223 round...not a fan. i want some azz behind my shots.
Ar10 is a good weapon. Make it full auto and it would be alot better weapon to use in combat than ANYTHING chambered in 5.56.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #47
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Ar10 is a good weapon. Make it full auto and it would be alot better weapon to use in combat than ANYTHING chambered in 5.56.

Full auto is a no go here, neat but about useless in my world. Burn up way too much ammo...besides, i would think muzzle rise would be a bit much!

I am thinking in civilian terms here...looking to buy something specific for SHTF scenario...but would be using on the range and hunting apps.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #48

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

In what capacity?

A full auto other than a support weapon is not ideal except for ammunition manufacturers.

The 5.56 is a great round and I have the pics and experience to prove so. People take the hand full of instances that a combatant was not instantly incapacitated and make it the norm instead of the exception it is.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Full auto is a no go here, neat but about useless in my world. Burn up way too much ammo...besides, i would think muzzle rise would be a bit much!

I am thinking in civilian terms here...looking to buy something specific for SHTF scenario...but would be using on the range and hunting apps.
Ya full auto is a pain cuz of muzzle rise. But for what you are wanting then id still say the ar 10 is a better weapon

Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #50
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
In what capacity?

A full auto other than a support weapon is not ideal except for ammunition manufacturers.

The 5.56 is a great round and I have the pics and experience to prove so. People take the hand full of instances that a combatant was not instantly incapacitated and make it the norm instead of the exception it is.
5.56 is useless for about anything bigger than a coyote in my world...if it aint gonna put a deer down reliably (shot placement not withstanding) i am not going to trust it in a SHTF scenario....1 shot 1 kill is kinda my thought process.

If i am in a SHTF scenario where i need to shoot a person, i want 'em DEAD...NOW!

::disclaimer::

i DO NOT want to get shot with a .177 bb much less a .380 or 5.56...just sayin'

Closed Thread