Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > best assault rifle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

And it's as available as buying an M1A and them getting the aftermarket stock package.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The EBR is an M14 package that makes it capable of the same versatility of your M4.

However, it is heavy. Much heavier than the M4. I like the rifle and the round better. I never really cared for the M16A2/A4 or the M4 carbine.
Yep, the EBR is a M14 in an aluminum chassis w/ collapsible stock. It's still heavy and bulky. It is however a bad ass looking rifle.

The M4 family is really a great weapon system. It's the closest to a "do all" platform than anything I can think of.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #13

I agree with you that the M4 us easily the most versatile, I just wouldn't call it the best. I don't like the round for one thing, I've seen too many people shot with it multiple times without being stopped, or getting shot multiple times just to later get back up and continue the fight.

More people can argue shot placement all they want, but unless someone has been in a heated fire fight, at night, or in the rain, or in a sand storm, or a densely populated area, shot placement can kiss my @$$, especially when many of those I've seen were hit with main body mass shots. So they may not have been hit directly in the vitals, but 5 to the chest should put a man down no matter what.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you that the M4 us easily the most versatile, I just wouldn't call it the best. I don't like the round for one thing, I've seen too many people shot with it multiple times without being stopped, or getting shot multiple times just to later get back up and continue the fight.

More people can argue shot placement all they want, but unless someone has been in a heated fire fight, at night, or in the rain, or in a sand storm, or a densely populated area, shot placement can kiss my @$$, especially when many of those I've seen were hit with main body mass shots. So they may not have been hit directly in the vitals, but 5 to the chest should put a man down no matter what.
But if going by the options the OP gave there is only one weapon system that fulfills them all.

I know where you are coming from w/ the terminal ballistics of the 5.56 that most leg units get issued. There are better options for 5.56 though, if only we could use them. Bullet technology is good if only the military would take advantage of it.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #15

Well in that case, the only area that the EBR is lacking is in weight, but the M4 is lacking in caliber. So really, the 2 come out about even as per the OP's considerations.

I've heard the civilian version of the EBR package is lighter than the issued version too, so.... Who knows?

Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Well in that case, the only area that the EBR is lacking is in weight, but the M4 is lacking in caliber. So really, the 2 come out about even as per the OP's considerations.

I've heard the civilian version of the EBR package is lighter than the issued version too, so.... Who knows?
An exhausted soldier is a worthless soldier. Id rather be able to manipulate my rifle at will yet be required to place multiple shots on target than to not be able to get my rifle on target before the target has it's sights on me.

VLTOR makes a chassis for the M14 that appears to be lighter than the EBR. I think it looks better as well.

LOL, I really appreciate this conversation. It's rare two guys can discuss anything online w/o getting into name calling. Thanks man.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #17

I try to avoid name calling, but c3 has had to bust me on it once or twice. What can I say, I get mad sometimes too.

As far as weight is concerned though, I carried a SAW and usually at least 2k rounds for it, plus water, grenades and at least one MRE, and never got too tired to use it effectively. It was just conditioning, I got used to it.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I try to avoid name calling, but c3 has had to bust me on it once or twice. What can I say, I get mad sometimes too.

As far as weight is concerned though, I carried a SAW and usually at least 2k rounds for it, plus water, grenades and at least one MRE, and never got too tired to use it effectively. It was just conditioning, I got used to it.
I was a SAW gunner as well and must admit I would at times say a little prayer that we would hit contact so I could take a break from those damn mountains.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

I was a SAW gunner as well and must admit I would at times say a little prayer that we would hit contact so I could take a break from those damn mountains.
I had the best of both worlds. Although my weapon of choice for man dropping wasnt an "assualt rifle".....let some dumbazz catch a 168 gr bt to the chest and they dont get up. Anyone that see someone take a 5 round burst at 30 yards to the chest from a SAW knows that 5.56 is a sh#tty round for man killin. Ya i had an m4 besides my 308 but id much rather have had the EBR instead.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
An exhausted soldier is a worthless soldier. Id rather be able to manipulate my rifle at will yet be required to place multiple shots on target than to not be able to get my rifle on target before the target has it's sights on me.

VLTOR makes a chassis for the M14 that appears to be lighter than the EBR. I think it looks better as well.

LOL, I really appreciate this conversation. It's rare two guys can discuss anything online w/o getting into name calling. Thanks man.
Right on..! This is going great...! I have only limited skills with few rifles, the only one I've ever carried for the military was the M4, aside from that I've only ever shot a 10/22 or a .270 bolt gun and, a shotgun or two. Pistols I think are great, and have had many. I personally feel the M4 is lacking ONLY in caliber, but... I would carry it as it is familiar to me. That being said, That is exclusively why I am building the RRA .308 that I am. I would really dig trying out some of the other rifles out there though..!!
1-36.jpg  

Closed Thread