Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR15 manufacturer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Buy a Colt 6940. It's in your budget and is good quality. They retain their value and come with a lot of upgrades out of the box. I'm going the DIY route, but if I wasn't I'd buy a 6940 as my first so I could figure out the AR platform. Once you figure out what you like, build one. At least you can sell a Colt without taking a huge loss if you don't like it after building one that fits your needs better.
I don't know all the Colt #s and am not a huge fan. But believe this is good advice. The only thing I would say is get a total flat top with a gas block for mounting a front sight. Then you are free to mount any sights or optics you find suits you best. I'm a big Rock River Arms fan, but you need to know what kind of upper you want first, then you just call and they ship you the finished upper.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #42

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

my suggestion would be to buy something stock and learn the platform, learn how to field strip and maintain it, and learn to shoot it. then figure out what your needs and wants are and then go from there.

i went with an older Bushmaster M4A2 Patrolmans carbine. well it was what i thought i wanted, because i had had a couple similar many years ago. mine has the carry handle upper, and the next one will definately be a flattop for sure. it was a good relearning tool and suprised me at what i want the next one to be.
Exactly what I did. My first AR was a Bushmaster Patrol Rifle. It had the carry handle, fixed stock, and 18" barrel...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #43

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post
I'm not buying anytime soon...this is me doing my homework.
So "AR Primer" is a magazine or what?
Basically, I want a beginners guide to ARs. So I'm looking for help on here.
I don't even know where to begin.
Ask and ye shall receive. I assumed by now you had taken a few seconds to glance at our stickies. Good idea when visiting a new forum.

I agree with Axxe, Havoc and the Sgt that building your own is a great way to get the best AR for yourself, since you choose parts to your own specs. It only works if you do your homework and know what you want at your price range. I've never bought a factory AR but each of mine are of high quality, better than what you find at your typical LGS.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Ask and ye shall receive. I assumed by now you had taken a few seconds to glance at our stickies. Good idea when visiting a new forum.

I agree with Axxe, Havoc and the Sgt that building your own is a great way to get the best AR for yourself, since you choose parts to your own specs. It only works if you do your homework and know what you want at your price range. I've never bought a factory AR but each of mine are of high quality, better than what you find at your typical LGS.
I've used forums before and I've been on this forum for a while, I'm just new to ARs and rifles and general. I only have pistols and shotguns.
I've only ever viewed this forum from my iPhone and don't see any sections for "stickies"...
Never even hear of em before, lol

Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

Quote:
I've used forums before and I've been on this forum for a while, I'm just new to ARs and rifles and general. I only have pistols and shotguns.
I've only ever viewed this forum from my iPhone and don't see any sections for "stickies"...
Never even hear of em before, lol
"stickies" are those right at the very beginning of each of the sub-forums.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #46

Liked 343 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You'd also do well to wait a while. The panic buying spurred by the AWB has subsided, (for now). Prices are starting to return to Earth. Was at a gun show yesterday. Lots of black rifles, all makes. Found a new in the box Smith & Wesson M&P .223 for $725. There was nothing under $1000 while the AWB loomed. Mags are close to regular prices as well. To your question. I've got a DPMS A2 Classic and one I just built. I'm in agreement with those who've built their own. That's the only way to go IMHO.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Hk makes the best AR15s on the planet. I know I have shown these before, but the question is continually brought up. For a more affordable AR, I would go for a Colt. My daughter loves the Blackout.

http://www.frankonia.de/259322/189815/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ Modell&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_M odell=H--K+MR&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumber=1507 51&navCategoryId=6748

http://www.frankonia.de/610164/344108/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ Modell&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_M odell=H--K+MR&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumber=1749 08&navCategoryId=6748

Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #48

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jager, an MR556 runs 2900 Euros in Germany? That's around $4,000 right? They sell in the $2,000 range here stateside. That's seems awfully high considering they are made there.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #49

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Anyone heard anything about the sig sauer ARs?

I found a few on their website I really liked and they seem to be a quality company.

But from the sounds of it, I can't really go wrong with most anything ill fun at a reputable LGS...right?
many will dislike them because their rep took a hit with their crude SIG 556, which is not a bad rifle but best be thought of as a AK in AR clothes.

The SIG516 on the other hand is an fantastic rifle.
It gives up nothing to my Daniel Defense in fit finish and accuracy, plus its a piston gun so more tolerant of dirty and off-charge ammo.
Am looking to buy a 2nd one now.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Jager, an MR556 runs 2900 Euros in Germany? That's around $4,000 right? They sell in the $2,000 range here stateside. That's seems awfully high considering they are made there.
That is including 19 percent tax though. The price is always included in Germany. The dollar buys .76 euros right now. So, subtract 19 percent, then add 24 percent to get the price. $2912.76 I believe. Do not forget that guns are heavily regulated here and only 2 percent of the population hunts. Not that many competition shooters who need an AR, although there are competitions that use sports rifles. I wonder if there is a quality difference? Oh, Mercedes costs more over here then in the states too. Interestng hunh.