Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR15 manufacturer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #31
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 883 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Have a Colt, DPMS, Olympic & PWA, as well as a DPMS in .308. Love them all equally.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #32

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post
Hey y'all, I'm brand new to the rifle game. I have pistols and shotguns but never a rifle. I'm looking into ARs.
I hear y'all saying that you need an AR that "fits your needs".
My question is, what sort of needs will determine what type of AR I need?
Like what features of an AR will benefit me in what situations?

Sorry. I know this is a hard question to answer. I'm really a suppperrrr beginner when it comes to all of this.
If that's true don't buy anything now. Read and reread the AR Primer until you understand it. When you can decide for yourself what you need, then buy.

As far as the best duty carbines, BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense are on the short list.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3636

I like my Colt, as well as my cheap ole DMPS.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

If that's true don't buy anything now. Read and reread the AR Primer until you understand it. When you can decide for yourself what you need, then buy.

As far as the best duty carbines, BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense are on the short list.
I'm not buying anytime soon...this is me doing my homework.
So "AR Primer" is a magazine or what?
Basically, I want a beginners guide to ARs. So I'm looking for help on here.
I don't even know where to begin.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #35

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post

I'm not buying anytime soon...this is me doing my homework.
So "AR Primer" is a magazine or what?
Basically, I want a beginners guide to ARs. So I'm looking for help on here.
I don't even know where to begin.
The AR Primer is a sticky on this forum. Read it. In fact, read all of the stickies...

Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #36

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

The best one is the one you build . I have seen issues with almost all of the major manufacturers out there. People don't see the big picture that there is only a few major players out there making components and the rest of them just re- stamp them, inspected them to give you a warm and fuzzy.There are some brands that are consistently spot on on. But even they don't make all there own parts. It comes down to quality control of parts put together. That's why I believe that the best one out there is the one you build to you're specs.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #37

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
The best one is the one you build . I have seen issues with almost all of the major manufacturers out there. People don't see the big picture that there is only a few major players out there making components and the rest of them just re- stamp them, inspected them to give you a warm and fuzzy.There are some brands that are consistently spot on on. But even they don't make all there own parts. It comes down to quality control of parts put together. That's why I believe that the best one out there is the one you build to you're specs.
This is a fact I have a friend that shoots competition for a company that makes alot of parts for alot of diffrent companies ,which I am not at bay to to flap my gums about . But everything they have kicked out is top notch

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #38

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
This is a fact I have a friend that shoots competition for a company that makes alot of parts for alot of diffrent companies ,which I am not at bay to to flap my gums about . But everything they have kicked out is top notch
I know there's a few good ones out there, but there is a lot of garbage as well. That's why I say buy the best components you can from good manufacturers and do it your self. That and you learn about the weapon, there are too many people out there with nice toys and don't know a damn thing about them because they just bought them ,and slapped some accessories on.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #39

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I know there's a few good ones out there, but there is a lot of garbage as well. That's why I say buy the best components you can from good manufacturers and do it your self. That and you learn about the weapon, there are too many people out there with nice toys and don't know a damn thing about them because they just bought them ,and slapped some accessories on.
Spot on couldnt have said it better. What amazes me most is that they are a very simple rifle and very easy to understand. Yet some just buy and have no idea what they have or how to fix it if they have a problem
. I to say build it and learn .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 03-31-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20077 Times on 11421 Posts
Likes Given: 50637

i very much endorse building your own. a person can build one to their specs for much less than the same already built. but i like to suggest for the newbie to AR's to buy one and learn the platform first. how to strip it down, how to clean it and maintain it. how to shoot it. learn what they like and what they don't like, then build one to their specs. after you have used a pretty out of the box stock AR for a little while, you have a better idea as to what you want in in one.