Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR under $1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best AR under $1000

M looking for a good AR platform in 223 or 5.56 preferably 223 for under 1000 dollars

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 631

i recommend that you check out stag. they make good rifles. i paid 900 OTD for for mine and 1100 for my wifes. prices very by store and region but they sit right around 1000. you can also look to RRA, PSA, S & W. for entry level, under a 1000 rifles. theses brands are of good quality as well. the option also exists to build your own, and that can be well under the 1000 price tag and you get to pick what you want.

as far as caliber, most of the AR style rifles these days are made to handle 5.56, which is fine and will thus handle almost any ammo you feed it. only the lower quality cheap Ar's are the few that still only make a .223 chamber i believe. i could be wrong on that but on all the recievers ive seen its said .223/5.56, or multi cal.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerfinger
M looking for a good AR platform in 223 or 5.56 preferably 223 for under 1000 dollars
Actually, you probably want it in 5.56. That being said look at the S&W M&P 15 Sport. I've heard good things about it and have put a mag through one of my neighbors. Seems like a pretty solid gun.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For under $1000 id say the best is BCM for a middy or Colt for a carbine.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Another idea, find a nice lightly used LMT out there. With our poor economy, my guess is there are more than a few lightly used M4's out there for a savy buyer.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

In my recent experience, I will recommend DelTon. I have their Echo MOE model, and it continues to be flawless. I paid less than $800. It came with heavy 4150 barrel and Magpul furniture. With RDS, vertical grip, and Magpul pop up rear sight, I am at $1000. Pretty much mil-spec, except the barrel. But I don't think I will be mounting a grenade launcher anytime soon. A friend of mine is borrowing it for a carbine course, because his Colt is in the shop with FTF issues. This is just his bad luck, but he could have borrowed some expensive rifles from our friends. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. I can't give any better endorsement. DTI does not appear to have the long term tested performance of some of the other options. But, the AR15 has years of test data, and DTI uses quality parts.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
For under $1000 id say the best is BCM for a middy or Colt for a carbine.
I agree with AT. If you look around you can build or buy a BCM in this range and maybe find the Colt.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I'd suggest DPMS, they've been around awhile, started making arms for the military then branched out into this market and now they are like the second largest AR platform manufacturer and as far as I understand, it's all US machined and made.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

I agree with AT. If you look around you can build or buy a BCM in this range and maybe find the Colt.
I will say BCM for the win. Can be put together for just under $1000 with magpul furniture. You will not be disappointed. Excellent rifle and customer service.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Colt 6920 can be found for right around $1000

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.