"BEST" AR, "BEST" Upgrades.... - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "BEST" AR, "BEST" Upgrades....

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Hammer View Post
The Mag Pull is a crutch for not practicing proper gun control.
1.) He has a Mag-Cinch on the gun, not a MagPul.

2.) While I am definitely not a fan of most of MagPul's product line (here I agree with your initial concept; this is a product that is really not needed, but every internet commando says it is), I fail to see how using a device that assists in pulling a magazine out of a pouch is not proper gun control. Even if you mean Mag-Cinch, I don't see how having an extra magazine on the rifle to assist you in reloading your rifle faster is not good gun control. Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Since you 'Claim' to do 3 gun, where is the wear on the rifle? My competion rifles always showed wear after just a couple of trips to the range, not to mention a few competitions.
Okay, get ready to take a strange trip with me. Photographs are usually taken and stored somewhere. Since people like to show off their things when they finish them. The rifle he has pictured may not actually look like that right now...

Quote:
Since everything is painted up and color matching with no wear, cleaning marks or other signs of use, and since you are from CA. where they don't allow 'Assult' rifles, my guess is this is some gun clubs 'Club House Toy' or it's a picture taken at a gun dealer or trade show...
Umm, as much as I despise everything about California, you are incorrect (I can't believe I'm defending California). If the owner registered the firearm prior to the enactment of California's draconian assault weapons ban, then he can legally own it...

Quote:
ACOG is a Canadian invention, so that means it graduated in meters... Pretty silly for a 3 gun match graduated in yards...
Here you show your ass again. The ACOG may very well have been invented by Canada, but it is currently being manufactured by Trijicon, a company located in Wixom, Michigan. Last time I checked, Michigan is still part of the U.S.

Additionally, you have shown that you have never shot 3-Gun. No match that I have ever been to has truly known distances. Each target is set, and it is up to the shooter to either be familiar with the range, or good at range-estimation.

Quote:
The use of the word 'Kit' means either you are trying to be 'British' or you are a foreign national, as in from Canada...
Which meas you aren't allowed to own firearms of any kind until you are naturalized...
And naturalized probably wouldn't use the word 'Kit' anymore.
And you're wrong again. Resident aliens are afforded the right to own firearms, including items on the NFA registry.

Additionally, Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb, two former members of Delta Force, both call equipment they use “Kit.” I've seen Dynamite Jones (formerly known as Ben Thompson), a former SEAL, use the word kit to describe equipment he uses. I would like to see you tell one of them that they aren't really citizens...

Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #82

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
MattG, that would be the guy from pIRATE4x4 web site...
Think I should post links to some of your 'Better' posts?
Do you think you will have any credibility when the guys here see how you treat other people and stuff every post with insults and as many 4 letter words as possible?

Before you preach, you need to have the high moral ground...
Just a clue for the next time you want to insult someone and rebuke them at the same time...
It wouldn't bother me at all. Pirate4x4 has a different attitude, where insults can be thrown around, cursing is allowed, and men can generally act like men, and Roxy tends to act more manly than most men today (in a good way; gods I hope she doesn't see this ).

Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #83

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So..who's everyone voting for?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #84

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So, after searching long and hard, I think I found an expert who can help us get to the bottom of this issue and put it to bed, once and for all. I give you the Internetz Best: Armed Man Bear Pig
>
>
>
>

armedmanbearpig.jpg  

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
Since I don't use my rifle to hunt with, I really have no idea what your babbling about. I also don't do much long-range, but I do seem to remember that a mil-dot scope is quite easy to use to estimate distance, even on targets that are not human. If you have a general idea on the size of your target, you can make them work. I am lacking in this skill, mostly because I don't see a need for shooting anything that far out, so perhaps someone else could counter your ramblings better.
Yeah bro, I can take a stab at it, as I have a bit of training with the thing. I do own one, and I do have it mounted on my .308, which was purpose built for Urban work - not for hunting. I don't personally advocate using it for a hunting scope, because it's a busy reticle package if you aren't real familiar with it.

The mil-dot is basically a set of small circles aligned vertically & horizontally in the reticle to represent distance, and compensate for it, without making adjustments to your rifle scope.

The thing with the Mil-Dot that causes a lot of problems is that one single circle, "one" of the vertical or horizontal dots, is actually equal to almost dead nuts on 1 yard at 1,000 yards, or 1 meter at 1,000 meters. The math works out damn near perfectly for both, so who ever came up with it, was a lot smarter than the guys I went to school with.

So, if you have any known size - a fence post, the width of an animals' chest, the height of the animal in question, pretty much anything, you can make a pretty damn good estimate as to the range.

The formula is:
The Measured Object’s Width
Or Height In Yards x 1000 = RANGE IN YARDS
Object’s Width Or Height In Mils

This will work for meters too, but you have to do all the math in meters, instead of yards. It's a direct conversion.

So, say you know that a stump in your line of sight/hunting field of view is 3 feet tall, for the sake of easy internet math.

Height ( 3 feet - so 1 yard ) times 1000 = 1000

Now, you put the crosshairs on the fence post and it measures 2 Mils ( again, for the ease of internet math )

Height in Mils = 2

1000 ( height ) divided by 2 ( height in Mils ) equals a distance of 500 yards from you.

You can do these measurements on the fly with just about any known size.

Know how big a pop can is that is laying in the field? Do the math.

Know the size of the pumpkin across the way? Do the math.

Know the height of the "leader" ( I mean shooting dummy ) across the plaza? Do the math.

Known size, in yards ( or meters ) times by 1,000 then divide by the number of mils in your scope. ( 6 feet tall? 2 yards tall - times by 1,000 equals 2,000. Measures 8 mils in the scope? He's 250 Yards away. )

It's not rocket science and it's a pretty great tool, but it's not for a novice and you have to practice with it to get the best use out of the thing.

Now, a lot of commercial variable power rifle scopes have an indexing mark on them to identify their preferred usage power to align things correctly. You have to factor that in, because if you don't, your measurements will be way off.

When I first got mine, I bought one of these handy calculators which allowed me an endless source of practice runs without having to worry about doing it wrong. Make your measurements, do the math, then check with the handy pocket guide. You don't even need to be at the range. After about, oh, I don't know, 500 trial runs, I got to the point where I was pretty familiar with the process.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-22-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #86

I was going to give the calculations-- but you beat me to it. That about covers it. Not hard-- certainly not rocket science. Make sure you record your dope for every range-- it's also a great idea to measure commonly seen items and record them in your log book as well-- makes life easier. Even if your just a regular guy like me you might want to consider using a log book for each rifle.

Mil-Dots (gen 1, gen 2, MP8, ect) are great for hold overs as well. They do have a use despite Dip Stick's claims-- which I think he's been outed as a phony.

FYI for anyone reading this that is in the market for a Mil-dot scope.

PS-- JD you look nothing like your avatar.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-22-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post

PS-- JD you look nothing like your avatar.
That's not me - I thought that was Slowrdy45.

I found it by searching google images. Greatest collection of fruit cakes out there.... LOL

JD

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #88

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's not me - I thought that was Slowrdy45.

I found it by searching google images. Greatest collection of fruit cakes out there.... LOL

JD
Dang...and I thought you were gonna keep that a secret

So I hope you don't mind if I share yours then?

JD with his latest creation...note - no cant, no telescopic optics, no calculators needed. Caution...high recoil can be dangerous to the dentures

Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #89

Ah Crap! I am still waiting on the patent for that Budweiser barrel system too.

Damn it Slo - That was supposed to be kept between us! Your royalties are going WAY down now....

JD

Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #90

This thread is great! I'm a moderator on another site, ironically a Jeep website. What I have learned as a moderator, is reading a lot and letting the goof balls build their own gallows and tie their own noose, and letting the other members finsh things up, is far more of a lesson than a scolding or ban from a moderator. </moderator crap>

The sad part is, AR HAmmer has a point I can agree with somewhat. If you are not familiar with a particular weapon, all the goodies in the world won't help. After you master the basic firearm, the add-ons are going to refine your skills and the weapon's ability.

Telling everyone ther are wrong is not the way to make your point. Period. My new AR will be a bare bones 20" A2, fixed stock and all. It's what I want, so if it not for everyone so be it. I have the ame feeling about shooters that want to load up their stuff, not for me but I'm not shooting it.

Who's everyone voting for?

Closed Thread