"BEST" AR, "BEST" Upgrades.... - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > "BEST" AR, "BEST" Upgrades....

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Don't bet on that bro - there is like a page and a half to respond too... LOL

JD
Dammit, I hate it when other people are right.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #62

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You know what? Since you're registered over at Pirate4x4, why don't you cut your silly rant and post it in their Outdoors Forum. I'm sure all of those guys will be happy to hear your opinions.

And that would allow me to properly respond to the never-ending stream of stupid that is running forth from your keyboard...

Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #63

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
The spare bedroom I use for my firearms stuff has some SERIOUS burglar bars on the outside, and chain link on the inside of the window,
The door is a steel security type with double locks, one being a steel tube reinforced jam dead bolt.

The house is alarmed, even though I really only use it for the 'Gun Room'...
Where does this guy live? Beirut?

Quote:
When I have my AR in the vehicle with me, I have a ring in the floor with an 'Eye' on it and I use a heavy bike lock to secure the rifle.
Quote:
Combo means no keys needed, and you will have to saw the rifle in half to get it loose without a torch.

Pistol box under the seat keeps the handgun safe if I don't feel like, or can't, take it with somewhere.
I keep the loaded AR Mags in that security box also.
Its the finger print type lock, so again, no key required and virtually instant access.
Pretty much puts an end to the idea of being able to get to a firearm when you need it.

Quote:
I remove firing pins, substitute with 'Short' pins.
Quote:
AR's are really effectively disarmed when you use a 'shortened' pin...

And if you do any shooting at all, we ALL have bent firing pins that would work great...
Since it's NEVER going to fire anything again, straighten to the naked eye, the file down/round over the end so it "Looks" normal but can't strike the primer.
It takes even a qualified gun smith a while to diagnose this problem, so it's going to outsmart ALL burglars and anyone that would buy/use a stolen rifle.
Assuming you go to this much trouble before leaving for walkabout –

What? If the weapon isn’t firing, but the brass is in good condition and the primer hasn’t been punched, or punched deeply, where would the “average” gunsmith in your part of the world start to look? At the A2 stock & buffer? Or the sling?

Quote:
I pin back cocking pieces to keep firing pin form going forward when the trigger is pulled on bolt guns.
Quote:
Short firing pins can be substituted also on bolt guns.
Just when the guy thinks he's got it figured out, he doesn't!

Adjusting the trigger where it simply doesn't engaged the cocking piece is another way to disable a bolt rifle, if it won't cock when the bolt is closed, it simply can't fire, and that takes about 1 minute to reverse when you get the rifle out of storage.
Again, assuming you actually go to this much trouble….

You know what else works? Removing the bolt all together and storing it in a completely different place. Takes about, oh, I don’t know, 5 to 8 seconds to pull the bolt from any standard bolt gun or AR Platform and leaves it completely inoperable.

Then you don’t have to worry about getting out the micrometer when you get home and measuring those firing pins you swapped all over the place to get the exact right one back into place.

Quote:
Guys knock the first generation 'Soda Straw' barrels,

Uh, bro – There is a reason that barrels are made in multiple configurations. Unless guys like Krieger and Douglas and Mike Rock and Shilen have just been WAY out in left field all these years.

Since you spend so much time at the range, perhaps you could wander over to some of the long range, thousand yard benchrest guys, I am sure your club has a ton of them, and find out how many of their rigs have pencil thin, hunter/sporter style barrels. If they are serious competitors, I am guessing it’s none of them.

The thin, or pencil, barrel is a great choice, if you are going to be hiking, or hunting deep in the brush, humping the rifle all day every day. A 16” standard GI barrel, in a thin profile, is a great choice for close quarters, and standard range stuff. Is it the most accurate choice? No. Is it the best choice for certain occassions, like humping your rifle all day? Probably.

But NO ONE is building tack driving long range rifles with pencil thin barrels, whether they are boltguns or AR’s.

Thicker barrels lead to less harmonics, especially in a rifle with rapid follow up shots. They are a more stable platform, and resist “bending” or “tweaking” so you don’t have to worry about that sling that you are wrapping your arm through and locking in until the blood flow is cut off like Hathcock talked about affecting your weapon's accuracy. They also don’t heat up as fast, which is nice.

Another nice touch is a free floated front fore end tube. Helps keep harmonics down as well – but that advancement came along after the initial offering of the AR platform by Mr. Stoner

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #64

Boy, I had suspicions that his Alaskan survival story was BS. Then I read a little of this rant, now I know it was BS! What gave it away...1 MOA at 100 yards equals 1/2" ? The planet that you live on must be half the size of this one.

Just to put the nail in your coffin:
Sometimes-- when I already have my dope for a certain range--- I get lazy and use hold overs---- did I just hear your heart miss a beat?

If you are a total phony:

Quick go look up the words:
Dope
Hold-Over

so that you can tell me I'm a stroke for using those terms.

One more thing Dip Stick-- your not the only one that has served their country around here-- your not the only one that has had training. You certainly aren't any kind of expert in anything other than trolling. So get off your high horse and stop giving half hour sermons and posting rants.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-21-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Boy, I had suspicions that his Alaskan survival story was BS. Then I read a little of this rant, now I know it was BS! What gave it away...1 MOA at 100 yards equals 1/2" ? The planet that you live on must be half the size of this one.

Just to put the nail in your coffin:
Sometimes-- when I already have my dope for a certain range--- I get lazy and use hold overs---- did I just hear your hear miss a beat?

If you are a total phony:

Quick go look up the words:
Dope
Hold-Over

so that you can tell me I'm a stroke for using those terms.

One more thing Dip Stick-- your not the only one that has served their country around here-- your not the only one that has had training. You certainly aren't any kind of expert in anything other than trolling. So get off your high horse and stop giving half hour sermons and posting rants.
I've only ever used a scope twice in my life, yet I know what dope and hold over are.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #66

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Blimey....

Bloody Hell...I can't believe this thread has gone on this long...and all over what?

At first I thought it was all JD's fault But that can't be right. He's as much an expert on here as the rest of us...just one of the guys willing to stop and help one of the others out. Then I thought maybe it was...

But that can't be right. After all, one's piece of KIT is his/her own, regardless of what anyone else thinks - right?

Maybe it's because...one needs to get out more and actually get a "piece of kit" now and then. It might just solve what ails one.

Slo

Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #67

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love this thread

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #68

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey..who's everyone voting for?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #69

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Hey..who's everyone voting for?
Can't vote- too young (only 4 months too young- so close, and yet, so far away) But at this point I would mark none of the above, or If we could bring people back from the dead, cure Alzheimer's, and repeal the 22nd amendment- I'd vote for Reagan.
But, of the two choices we have, I would support McCain.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
-Ronald Reagan

Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #70

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_REPUBLICAN View Post
Can't vote- too young (only 4 months too young- so close, and yet, so far away) But at this point I would mark none of the above, or If we could bring people back from the dead, cure Alzheimer's, and repeal the 22nd amendment- I'd vote for Reagan.
But, of the two choices we have, I would support McCain.
+1 I would prefer Reagan myself...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Closed Thread