Best AR
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best AR

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a match. So, I'm just curious as to what peoples opinions are about the best brand name for AR-15's.

Like the 1911, everyone and their brother seems to make one. What are the best brand names though. I'm looking at a last years model bushmaster.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2

Also I live in the communist state of New Jersey, so I have to stay away from colt.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Skip the bushmaster. If you're looking at that atleast 'upgrade' to a windham weaponry. I'll leave the huge list and arguments you have coming to other members.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Thats going to stir a lot of opinions That all depends on how much money you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. Are you talking a combat rifle or a national match rifle for shooting long range ? I myself like the Daniel Defense and Yankee Hill Machine, Larue also makes some nice stuff but the price tag matches. There are some really top end stuff out there but for and AR I want to be able to use it and not be afraid to scratch it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2322 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 841

No such thing; just as there is no such thing as a "best" handgun. There are better builds out there than others. If you had a price range and purpose you had in mind, you would probably get better feedback.

I've seen some guys at the range with $5,000 custom AR's they are using for competitions that are amazingly fantastic rifles (I wouldn't doubt some cost 2x or 3x that much). But they would not be a good choice at all for most other applications.

So can you provide some more detail of what your criteria are?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 06-12-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm with Scott on this one OP.

There is no "one" magical, BEST when it comes to such a broad platform as the AR.

Do you want a mid to longe range gun? You will want a longer barrel (20",22"), heavier optics and might not even want to go with the standard 5.56/.223 caliber

Do you want a door kicking, room clearing bullet hose? You will want a short barreled rifle (SBR), maybe in the 12.5" barrel category, with a collapsible stock and heads up optics.

Do you want a short, street to street, urban sweeping application? You might want a 14" or 16" barrel with a low power optic (1X-4X) that still offers some decent knockdown power and reliability.

If you are looking to just own the most drool worthy stick out there that will turn all the heads at the range you will probably want to go with more of a dedicated true custom, and not a production run, gun.

I am not a fan of the man, but the work that comes out of his facility has always been top shelf and while I have only ever shot two AR's with his stamp, both were incrediably well made, accurate and beautiful.

http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_ar15.html

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #7

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

A little more searching will easily turn up hashes and rehashes of this subject. Get some popcorn and settle in for the night!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Nothing is Best. Budget and purpose determine the BEST. .

Old 06-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5983 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

"best for what??" is the eternal next part.

shtf??
kicking in doors urban combat??
zombies??
varminting??
deer hunting??
target plinking??
hanging on the wall??
door stop??
harpooning seals??
whale hunting??

i like Bravo Company, Rock River Arms and Colt

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #10

I know I'm spending money on this gun. More or less I'm asking honest opinion because I know this could easily turn into a glock vs. 1911 thread and I'm not interested in that. I'm looking for a rough and tumble gun that I can drop, pick it up, brush it off, and empty a mag without it pitching a fit. I've researched for a couple years (I've been a bolt action guy. Now breaking into the auto loading world) and some say they are unreliable trash, others say they can't be beat. Some love a certain brand where others say that same brand is just an expensive piece of trash. Like every gun, for every one positive there is a negative. I really would rather have a Springfield armory m1a for its reliability, accuracy, and gorgeous look, but I don't want to pay for 308 rounds.