Best AR 15 factory $1000 and under - Page 13
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR 15 factory $1000 and under

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I've owned/built about 20 AR15's in the last couple years.

Wow!!

I'll be sure to start paying more heed ot your input then

Maybe if your avatar wasn't so off-putting making me feel like I am being yelled at by a wild man it would be easier...

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 09-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #122

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
HA! if I knew what I wanted, I would not have made this post, think about that a little bit. I stated at the outset that I had read the primers, etc.

I started with some basics, I read the feedback I received. During the life of this post I have handled about 15 ARs at stores, which along with the comments that were made naturally influenced my decision. I went to other sources besides this forum and talked to 3 gunsmiths this past week.

First, no PSA completes to be had in my area. I will not purchase any rifle without handling and inspecting it first. That's just me. These must be good guns/parts because nobody has them to actually look at - no dealers listed in my area either per PSA website. Here's what I am going to do though - when I DO a build, I will do it with PSA components, at least upper and lower and maybe upgrade the BCG at some point. Maybe not

2nd, I realized that the carbine length was a better way to go given my intended use. I am used to the full-sized bolt action rifles and so it's about adjustment I believe.

3rd, I decided if I want a quality AR15 'out of the box' I probably need to spend more than $1000 - so I am looking at Colt LEs and the Sig Sauer M400. From what I understand both are excellent rifles.

You don't have anything better to do today than jump on this thread and tell me I don't know what I want? Really? REALLY?

thanks for the feedback
No I disagree, you know what you want . But you asked for the best quality in your price range and several of us have given you many options.Yet you come back here with a questionable AR thats over priced . If you have handled 15 AR's you should know that they should feel roughly the same in grip and stock . Other than forward weight of a heavy barrel and different grips a AR is a AR. I understand what your saying about not being able to handle a PSA but any basic carbine AR is going to feel the same . I really think you need to do more online research about particular brand quality .
I understand this is your first and it can be some what frustrating not knowing whats good quality and just a AR. Quentin is right , gunsmiths and these shops are going to sell you what they have on hand and they will talk up a particular item they have and get you pumped up on what they have on hand. I see it time and time again with women looking for a pistol at these shops . They get sold something they really dont like to shoot or doesnt fit them well or just isnt good quality . Dont be that person. Dont think Im here to rant on you , Im not . CHECK YOUR SELF to make sure every gun is unloaded and tryy the trigger on every gun you handle , being as your a bolt gun shooter the triggers arent going to be what you would expect .If you like the feel of a particular gun come tell us maybe we can help you find something of equal or better quality for lesser money . Dont be afraid to order it online and pay a small transfer fee . It may save you some money

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-08-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #123

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
No I disagree, you know what you want . But you asked for the best quality in your price range and several of us have given you many options.Yet you come back here with a questionable AR thats over priced .
Having three or four guys I have never met give me 'expert' advice via the internet has SOME value - but you expect that to be my end all be all? It's not. I have been scolded for asking questions about brands people don't like , upping my price range and for not sharing ENOUGH feedback. I get it some of you can't handle seeing someone go the 'wrong way'. It's my first AR. First as in there will be others I am sure. And I will talk about it when I get it. And somebody will think I am making the wrong move lol - that's totally OK I am in this to satisfy myself

Last edited by chloeshooter; 09-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #124

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
. I get it some of you can't handle seeing someone go the 'wrong way'. It's my first AR. First as in there will be others I am sure. And I will talk about it when I get it. And somebody will think I am making the wrong move lol - that's totally OK I am in this to satisfy myself
Heres why some of us are like we are . Alot of us put alot of effort in testing our products , some run their stuff hard, some are weekend shooters . What bothers most of us is we give people good hard info and then weeks or months later they come back on and wonder why their rifle wont cycle , or why the magwell is so tight , or why their trigger is so gritty , or why it wont shoot steel cased ammo, and on and on Come to find out they went and bought cheap brand X from a unknown dealer that may have scabbed one together from a cheap kit . Delton for instance they dont have a big push out there of representation but the couple I have handled ran flawless and they are priced reasonable also. RGuns is another I would never buy because their CS is terrible but their uppers run flawless that my buddy has and again cheap priced . A good friend is a shooter for DS Arms their stuff is priced well and again flawless operation , he and his daughter use them for 3 gun competition . Lots of good stuff out there but you probably wont get to handle any of these in a local dealer as most either buy BM, Windham or DPMS from their whole salers because they get them really cheap and they get the most % markup on them.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #125

Liked 187 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Chloeshooter, get a stag and don't look back. If you like the classic look of the carry handle I would get a flat top and put a carry handle on it. That way if you ever do decide that you like the flat top look, or want to mount optics, you won't have to spend another few hundred dollars doing so.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #126

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Having three or four guys I have never met give me 'expert' advice via the internet has SOME value - but you expect that to be my end all be all? It's not. I have been scolded for asking questions about brands people don't like , upping my price range and for not sharing ENOUGH feedback. I get it some of you can't handle seeing someone go the 'wrong way'. It's my first AR. First as in there will be others I am sure. And I will talk about it when I get it. And somebody will think I am making the wrong move lol - that's totally OK I am in this to satisfy myself
Annoying, very annoying. If you want help (which I now suspect never was your intention) you must give pertinent information. Instead you've orchestrated a long meandering trollish thread that's been a waste of everyone's time. In the typical "what should I buy" thread the OP usually gets to a point where we all have an idea what he wants. But not you. You, sir, are wired differently.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
You, sir, are wired differently.
I am taking that as a compliment

Last edited by chloeshooter; 09-09-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #128

I have asked the mods to close this thread. Thanks for those that provided useful feedback.

Unfortunately there seem to be that handful of folk who have to ruin things by making personal attacks etc. and once again a well meaning thread has been sidetracked.

Closed Thread