Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR-15 80% lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7299 Times on 4239 Posts
Likes Given: 9403

Anybody have any opinions on EP Lowers? They are polymer but they run $100 for an 80%. Seems steep to me. They say they have beefed up the pin bosses to account for the weaker polymer material. Not sure on the longevity though. Also, are 80% polymer lowers required to have some metallic content so they show up on X-ray?

http://www.eparmory.com/category-s/1819.htm

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 636 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I wouldn't buy a poly lower, although it may be easier to machine than even aluminum. I can't imagine that it would need any metal in it, because it will have plenty once built into a gun. And it's pretty much useless all by itself.....
$100 seems steep to me, too. That's what I was going to pay for the aluminum 80% I ordered earlier this year. That was WITH shipping.

Last edited by clr8ter; 08-02-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #33

Anyone who doubts me when I said I believe Tactical Machining makes lowers with serial numbers, and the ones that have flaws are sold off as 80%s ought to take a look at the 30 some of them being sold on Gunbroker right now. Unfortunately in the case I experienced, it wasn't revealed that the they were junk before the sale. The machining itself wasn't right. The company then gave the run around and didn't hold up to there word to make this right. My two cents worth would be to stay away from it. Not worth the gamble.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #34

How was the machining not right? Finish? Tolerances?

Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocacola View Post
Anyone who doubts me when I said I believe Tactical Machining makes lowers with serial numbers, and the ones that have flaws are sold off as 80%s ought to take a look at the 30 some of them being sold on Gunbroker right now. Unfortunately in the case I experienced, it wasn't revealed that the they were junk before the sale. The machining itself wasn't right. The company then gave the run around and didn't hold up to there word to make this right. My two cents worth would be to stay away from it. Not worth the gamble.
Post details here with all of the contact info for all or the people with whom you have contacted at TM (including the Gunbroker ad if its still up) and let the power of the Free Market do its work.

We at FTF don't care for that sort of crap. We will make our voices heard. You might benefit from this exercise.

Help me out here FTFers, where is the thread on Bass Pro Shops and their ammo sales policies in Illinois?

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #36

I don't remember the name(s) of who I talked to. The way I see it, whomever is answering the phone or conducting business for the place represents it. The finish looked OK except the side of one of them. That didn't bother me at the time. We have trucks, and I'm not real big on appearance. But. I like them in good working order. I'm the same way about my guns. We milled out 2 of them. While assembling them, it was realized the detent hole for the buffer spring stopper wasn't properly located. Called Tactical Machining, told them of the problem, there immediate responsE was " you don't need the buffer detent to operate the gun, it will operate fine without it." After a surprisingly short argument, they gave in and said bring it in. bring it in? I'm over a thousand miles away, and it's them, not one. They then said it was against the law for them to have the milled out ones, but to send the untouched ones and they'll take care of it. After a reasonable amount of time they shipped back, the same thing but it with a slotted hole. It looked like they stuck the things in a vice and slotted the hole over to the correct location. Very poor, it even looked like it was done with a long drill bit because the slot didn't even go straight in line with the part. The bit walked itself to the side. Then contacted them, they said send them back. Sent them back, long delays, many phone calls, sent one back, but it was like the ones on gunbroker right now. Then out of stock on the rest. A bunch of nonsense. A typical screw. They are in Florida, and your a thousand miles away. Should have known better than to order a group at once. Especially from a place that makes real ones. It's only common sense that they'd make the leftovers from the serialized into 80%. Just like mother gave you the burnt cookies and saved the good ones for the guests or party. A real burn alright. Should have known better to buy this from a bunch of yahoos pouring aluminum in Florida. I get upset all over again by just writing and thinking of this.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #37

Quote:
It's only common sense that they'd make the leftovers from the serialized into 80%.
No, it isn't. Not at the very least without disclosing what's wrong with it. IMHO, that's a very piss-poor thing to do. In the machining trade we have what's called a scrap bin. That's where that kind of stuff goes. Now, we try to keep as much out of there as possible, but by making parts correctly.....

I woulda asked for a refund.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
No, it isn't. Not at the very least without disclosing what's wrong with it. IMHO, that's a very piss-poor thing to do. In the machining trade we have what's called a scrap bin. That's where that kind of stuff goes. Now, we try to keep as much out of there as possible, but by making parts correctly.....

I woulda asked for a refund.
I agree. I would ask for a refund.

Quote:

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #39

Default Billet or forged

What are the major differences of 80% lower ? Are the any advantages to buying a billet from satatical or paying a little more and getting a forged one from gunpartsplus.com ?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatte1403 View Post
What are the major differences of 80% lower ? Are the any advantages to buying a billet from satatical or paying a little more and getting a forged one from gunpartsplus.com ?
An 80% is not technically a firearm, so no serial numbers are required. You complete it yourself and build it into a functioning firearm.

There are even polymer ones available.

The only advantage beyond the obvious (a forged lower is, in my opinion, the best option) is how to finish it and what jigs and fixtures are provided for that purpose. The polymer 80% lowers from EPLowers.com are jigless and the polymer is color coded to show you what material to remove. People have completed these things with a hand drill and a Dremel tool.

Quote: