Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best AR-15 80% lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best AR-15 80% lower?

I know they are all relatively similar because they are built to spec. Some companies will charge double what others do though, so I assume there are differences.

My dream for this build is to have it compatible with .22 all the way up to the .458. 22 for cheap ammo, target practice, and becoming proficient with the gun. 458 because I'm the type of person who likes to be prepared for anything that may, but probably won't happen.

Yes I'm new, so feel free to criticize. All input is welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Long story short.

Within specs, most lowers are the same.

Most are made in 7075 T5, some are made in 6061 T6, some are polymer. Either alloy (allminum ones) ones are more than adequate, polymers (plastic) are less expensive but may have reliability and wear issues.

Pound for pound, forged is stronger than billet. But billet can be designed stronger (ie thicker) than forged.

differences include

Rollmark (some are just silly looking, some are cool)
flared magwell
textured magwell
integrated trigger guard
amidexterous controls (mag release, bolt hold/release, safety etc)
bolt tensioner (to remove play from the upper receiver)
etc etc.

there are soo many different kinds... (check out the ar15 manufacturers thread)
and shapes (check out the Roll mark thread)

it'll take you a little time to shop around for one.....have fun!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you have personal experience with any specific ones? I know there are a billion options. That's why I've turned to the forums instead of just spending hours on end with google. I just want someone to say, "this is the one I bought, it will work with what you described, I haven't had any problems, and you can find it here." I like to research and will build it on my own. There is just only so much I can learn from the internet. If I have to ill just buy one and learn for myself what's good and what's not. I'd just rather not waste the cash

Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #4

Never had an issue with:
Spikes Tactical Forged
Palmetto State Forged
Stag Forged
Rainier Arms Forged
Riflegear Forged
and a few dyi 80% Tactical Machining lowers

The latter 3 were my favorites. Rainer and Riflegear were both forged by Mega, with flared magwells and bolt tensioner for the upper. (didn't even need it on the Rainer arms unit, used it on the Riflegear unit)

off the top of my head....there maybe others....but I lost them all in a tragic boating accident last year T_T

I think you maybe overthinking this........it is very very rare for a receiver to be out of spec. Get it from a reputable dealer to reduce risk, get it from a known and active manufacturer to reduce it further. Getting it from a small unknown manufacturer is a bit more risky.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Would I be an idiot to 170+? I looked at tactical machining, but as I'm sure you know already availability is limited and most everythimg is sold out, except for the expensive stuff. The one I was looking at was ares, just because it is in stock

Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Liked 1119 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

If you dont have the tooling to do a 80% its just a paper weight , If your just looking for something that has no serial number/ paperwork tied to your name , if its legal to do so in your state buy from a private person , cash deal , nothing tied to your name

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm aware of the work it needs and I've done my research. That is why I want an 80% though. Avoid the hassle of ffl and, now I'm no conspiracy theorist, but every day I like the government less and less and want to do what I can to avoid being on their maps. I live in texas so nobody would bat an eye at another guy with a gun. But still. Ill have to check on just buying a stripped receiver locally. Thats another option. Thanks for your help by the way. Much appreciated

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorry didn't realise it was a different person. Thank you BOTH for your help!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

Liked 1119 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

No problem , glad we could help you . Dont be afraid to come here and ask . We all at one time or another have had many questions answered here .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #10

The 80% is a tricky thing, not so easy for the regular joe to accomplish. Sure there's a guy on the interwebs that did it with a hand drill, and documented it, but it wasn't the prettiest job. I found a CNC to finish mines a while back. I am looking into getting a some more 80%ers in the near future.

Quite honestly you can find a good complete lower receiver on sale for under $50, there's a few of them going for $90 to $100. Its cheaper to go with those, than go through the added expense and hardship of finishing a 80% yourself. Not to mention, there is a chance you may screw up too.

If this is your first time, skip the 80%, get nice inexpensive standard forged unit, and put it together. I will warn you tho, your wallet and savings account will hate you for it, kuz they do tend to multiply. BRD highly addictive.

As for the countless hours perusing the interwebs, I think there's just no way around it. Just let it run its course. Its the begining stages of BRD. Purehavoc logged about 1,374 hours already this year, looking at gun pron on the web. Its a good thing his better half is so understanding.......