Best Ar for $1,000 - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best Ar for $1,000

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'm with the people who say build it. I have not had a chance to build one due to a lack of money, but I do have one basically planed out and I already know what I want. Trust me, no one makes one exactly like what I'm wanting to build (at least not for 1k), AND I can do it for about $1000-$1200
While I have over 1,000 in mine now, counting optics, I still don't think I could have bought an out of the box of similar quality.
__________________
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
okdonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 2,815
Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I'm with the people who say build it. I have not had a chance to build one due to a lack of money, but I do have one basically planed out and I already know what I want. Trust me, no one makes one exactly like what I'm wanting to build (at least not for 1k), AND I can do it for about $1000-$1200
Good spirit! Post pics when u r done.
okdonk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #53
AZL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 298
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

BUSHMASTER M4(A3) PATROL CARBINE
'Nuff said.
__________________
I am fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Sexual Innuendo.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.
AZL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #54
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
While I have over 1,000 in mine now, counting optics, I still don't think I could have bought an out of the box of similar quality.
lol, The one I'm wanting to build would hopefully end up being both beautiful, and really high quality mechanically.
Picture a Vietnam era M16, Replace the plastic with some really nice wood, and use better quality parts for the inerds. (I'm thinking of using a RRA upper, and lower.)

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #55
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Good spirit! Post pics when u r done.
It will definetly be awhile, but I will be sure to start a thread for the build when I have the money to do it.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #56
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BenLuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglasville,Georgia
Posts: 2,181
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
lol, The one I'm wanting to build would hopefully end up being both beautiful, and really high quality mechanically.
Picture a Vietnam era M16, Replace the plastic with some really nice wood, and use better quality parts for the inerds. (I'm thinking of using a RRA upper, and lower.)
Love my BCM upper. Don't think you can find better for the price. Obviously I'm biased.
I'd be leery of the wood if you're planning on shooting it a lot, as you're talking about generating some heat!! But it would look sharp. Walnut sounds good.
__________________
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
BenLuby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,453
Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
lol, The one I'm wanting to build would hopefully end up being both beautiful, and really high quality mechanically.
Picture a Vietnam era M16, Replace the plastic with some really nice wood, and use better quality parts for the inerds. (I'm thinking of using a RRA upper, and lower.)
IIRC, someones already done up an ar with woody furnature...... I'll try to find a link for you.
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,453
Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/09/20/more-wood-for-your-ar-15/


http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=457385
__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #59
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Love my BCM upper. Don't think you can find better for the price. Obviously I'm biased.
I'd be leery of the wood if you're planning on shooting it a lot, as you're talking about generating some heat!! But it would look sharp. Walnut sounds good.
I'd probably put 50-100 rounds through it per range trip unless I could find some really cheap ammo. I've looked at walnut, but I was actually thinking of getting a lighter brown laminated stock to match my Remington Model 700.

http://www.precisionfirearms.com/m8/Wood%20Kit%20Brown%20Laminate%20RL--laminated-brown-ar-wood-kit.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
IIRC, someones already done up an ar with woody furnature...... I'll try to find a link for you.
Yeah, I knew a few people have done it before, but it is still pretty rare to see one with wood furniture. (at least for me). Plus, I love wood on my guns.

Thanks for the links.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,788
Liked 1134 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
BUSHMASTER M4(A3) PATROL CARBINE
'Nuff said.
Maybe a little more could be said!
__________________
______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes