Best Ar for $1,000 - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best Ar for $1,000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
ahh thanks. its a gas key staking tool.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #32

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ahh thanks. its a gas key staking tool.
Heaven forbid someone call it what it is, and instead come up with MOAK.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go with BCM, many options. Get the lower from Grant at G&R Tactical. He has non-blemish and blem lowers. The blem lowers are cheaper but the same quality. You can't tell the difference.
Get the upper from BCM ( upper, barrel, BCG, charging handle).

Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #34

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
It's not that hard. All that information is available online. The tools, if you bought high end, would run less that $200 for everything you need. Proper torque? Brownells actually has videos showing it step by step, as well as many more.
Building a solid, reliable AR is not that hard to do for someone with moderate mechanical aptitude.
But all that information?
It's all readily available.
If you don't want to build, that's wonderful. But don't go spreading misinformation that it is so very complicated and difficult. It's not.
Brownells has great how-to videos and some good AR parts. But they also have some low end parts as well. I really think for most "builders" it's wise to buy a quality upper from a trusted source and skip the actual upper assembly.

Besides, my DD upper I bought in 2010 - I selected every part that went in then let DD assemble it and test fire. I then finished the rifle. Since I chose EVERY part it is MY build no matter who actually attached the gas block and receiver to the barrel. Same goes for my ArmaLite upper from a few years ago though today I'd do it differently. It would be fun to put together an upper and I know I can but next time I'll buy compete from BCM most likely.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #35

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Ah ha! You guys should have heard of the MOACKS, it's been around a long time.

BTW, it's the Mother Of All Carrier Key Stakers, so the acronym actually is very descriptive. Nice tool though I've only used a friend's.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can someone post pics and or put together a parts list that adds up to around $1000... Also any completed riffles you guys have put together and costs of them!
It might seem lazy but I am interested to see what people have built for around that price range.
I know there is a picture thread but usually doesn't have a parts list or price of everything!
Thanks guys!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #37

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Buy a DPMS Oracle kit, under 500 and you can add/subtract parts as you please

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #38

here is my rifle, the scope was 60$ and if you take it away, the gun overall is 700, that leaves you 300 for whatever else you want (optics, and accessories) and it is still a top quality gun, made from a PSA lower and a RRA upper

Old 04-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #39

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
Can someone post pics and or put together a parts list that adds up to around $1000... Also any completed riffles you guys have put together and costs of them!
It might seem lazy but I am interested to see what people have built for around that price range.
I know there is a picture thread but usually doesn't have a parts list or price of everything!
Thanks guys!
You are lazy! Read the stickies! read the build threads! There have been at least 3 dozen build threads here on FTF in the past 6 months, with more than a handful of us pitching in advice now and again.

Or, go to Brownells AR builder and play around - http://www.ar15builder.com/

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #40

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
Thanks guys!
YMMV...http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/600-ar-fact-fiction-55961/

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington