Best Ar for $1,000 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Best Ar for $1,000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Lowers are easy enough.

Uppers need a torque wrench, barrel wrench, receiver block, and vise. All can be had for under $100. For just a build or two, its not really cost effective to build your own upper, but spread that cost over a few builds you'll be ahead.

If you can put together a bicycle or Ikea furniture, you can build an AR. Don't be afraid! It's just a machine.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
I want to know what peoples opinions are on what the best AR available is for around $1000 out of the box ready to go.
The best for what?

Practical shooting?

3gun competition ?

Varminting?

Bench Rest / Long distance shooting?

Home defense?

Duty?

To look at?

Stuff in a glass case on the wall?

What ranges do you plan to shoot at?

What kind of ammo you gonna feed it?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #13

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The only 'specialty tool' needed for a lower is an armorers wrench. That's it. Most households already have everything else needed, and, if they don't have a synthetic hammer, but have a normal one? Slap some duct tape over the head of it and get to work.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGlock View Post
I really do want to build my own lower... But after researching everything seems to be on back order no matter where I look. It is kind of discouraging in a way.
Patience grasshopper, sign up for email alerts! Don't be discouraged!

You can do it!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Not looking to argue or come to off harsh A lot of us here, myself include, came to this forum for the abundance of information and friendly atmosphere. With the help of some very knowledgable folks here many of us have assemble very good qualtiy ARs, one of our members actually milled his own receiver

After my experience here I am a big advocate of the FTF community helping those that want to learn or get more involved by advising them to build their own rifle.
Assembling your own is fine, I may have assembled one or two myself. However, IMO an individual who can assemble one to the level as someone who does it professionally is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
The only 'specialty tool' needed for a lower is an armorers wrench. That's it. Most households already have everything else needed, and, if they don't have a synthetic hammer, but have a normal one? Slap some duct tape over the head of it and get to work.
Not completely true. A MOAK and Torque wrench to properly torque the castle nut then a MOAK to stake it.

Last edited by MikeJK; 04-14-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #16

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
The problem w/ that is the majority of "builders" can't duplicate the quality of assembly that comes out of places like Colt and BCM. How many people really know how to match gas port size w/ the proper buffer system? Then you have to consider that most don't know the proper torque specs for thing like the castle and barrel nut. How many people own a MOAK?
It's not that hard. All that information is available online. The tools, if you bought high end, would run less that $200 for everything you need. Proper torque? Brownells actually has videos showing it step by step, as well as many more.
Building a solid, reliable AR is not that hard to do for someone with moderate mechanical aptitude.
But all that information?
It's all readily available.
If you don't want to build, that's wonderful. But don't go spreading misinformation that it is so very complicated and difficult. It's not.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #17

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
However, IMO an individual who can assemble one to the level as someone who does it professionally is rare.
are you under the impression that every AR that comes out of Colt, DD, Armalite and the like is assembled by a full blown experienced master gunmsith? I'm sorry to inform you but that is not the case

Now, do I have the skills to machine an AR form scratch ... probably, I do. I might make some mistakes the first time or two but I definitely have the aptitude to run machinery and do precision work. I didn't machine my AR458 but had the man himself build me one from a receiver set I chose. I will not disclose what this custom set up cost me but take my word it far less than what I had expected

So again, for $1k a person who can do assembly can "build" their own AR that will run right up there with the big boys

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

It's not that hard. All that information is available online. The tools, if you bought high end, would run less that $200 for everything you need. Proper torque? Brownells actually has videos showing it step by step, as well as many more.
Building a solid, reliable AR is not that hard to do for someone with moderate mechanical aptitude.
But all that information?
It's all readily available.
If you don't want to build, that's wonderful. But don't go spreading misinformation that it is so very complicated and difficult. It's not.
Looks like people are jumping to conclusions and not reading or understanding my posts. I mentioned I have assembled (I would like to know the guy who has the tooling to build a complete AR) an AR or 2. I have nothing against assembling an AR.

My statement was that the individual who can assemble an AR to the quality standards of a BCM or Colt is rare.

Yes a castle nut has a specific torque standard. And staking is considered important by many if not all. That's where the MOAK comes into play.

Misinformation? Sarcasm?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

are you under the impression that every AR that comes out of Colt, DD, Armalite and the like is assembled by a full blown experienced master gunmsith? I'm sorry to inform you but that is not the case

Now, do I have the skills to machine an AR form scratch ... probably, I do. I might make some mistakes the first time or two but I definitely have the aptitude to run machinery and do precision work. I didn't machine my AR458 but had the man himself build me one from a receiver set I chose. I will not disclose what this custom set up cost me but take my word it far less than what I had expected

So again, for $1k a person who can do assembly can "build" their own AR that will run right up there with the big boys
Like I said you may be an exception to the rule but the average individual neither has the tools nor the ability to assemble an AR like BCM, Colt, etc. do daily.

There are always exceptions. I thought that went w/o saying.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
If only I knew something about combat.

Not here to argue but there is a huge difference b/w assembling an AR and properly assembling an AR. It does take a degree of aptitude and some specialty tools to do it properly.

You may the proper tools and know how but most don't.

It really takes some very expensive specialty tools to build an AR.
I have to disagree with you, im 15 years old, and with a leather hammer, some punches and another friend we put together and AR in 2-3 hours, was unbelievably easy, i did it just yesterday, and i did it for 700$ too I say build your own that way you can use the extra money on optics/tacticool stuff!

Newest Threads