Best Ar for $1,000
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best Ar for $1,000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best Ar for $1,000

I want to know what peoples opinions are on what the best AR available is for around $1000 out of the box ready to go.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Colt 6920 and Bravo Company Manufacturing both for under $1k

Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Forget the out of the box and ready to go AR. For 1k you can build yourself one hell of a SHTF or precision stick that would be nearly unmatched by any out of the box AR

Do like many here have done - read the stickies, read the build threads ... then build your own

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

The problem w/ that is the majority of "builders" can't duplicate the quality of assembly that comes out of places like Colt and BCM. How many people really know how to match gas port size w/ the proper buffer system? Then you have to consider that most don't know the proper torque specs for thing like the castle and barrel nut. How many people own a MOAK?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Agree with Dog. There's something about knowing you've built your AR (or most of it, anyway), and that it will do whatever you ask of it at any time with no concerns.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
The problem w/ that is the majority of "builders" can't duplicate the quality of assembly that comes out of places like Colt and BCM. How many people really know how to match gas port size w/ the proper buffer system? Then you have to consider that most don't know the proper torque specs for thing like the castle and barrel nut. How many people own a MOAK?
Really? Building an AR does not require a degree in Rocket Science nor any need for a Intel microchip lab. The AR was conceived so that High School kids with zero apptitude could become proficent not just with it's use but the dissassembly/asssembly of the rifle ... while in combat.

Sorry, for $1k I'll build my own rifle

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #7

If only I knew something about combat.

Not here to argue but there is a huge difference b/w assembling an AR and properly assembling an AR. It does take a degree of aptitude and some specialty tools to do it properly.

You may the proper tools and know how but most don't.

It really takes some very expensive specialty tools to build an AR.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
If only I knew something about combat.

Not here to argue but there is a huge difference b/w assembling an AR and properly assembling an AR. It does take a degree of aptitude and some specialty tools to do it properly.

You may the proper tools and know how but most don't.

It really takes some very expensive specialty tools to build an AR.
Not looking to argue or come to off harsh A lot of us here, myself include, came to this forum for the abundance of information and friendly atmosphere. With the help of some very knowledgable folks here many of us have assemble very good qualtiy ARs, one of our members actually milled his own receiver

After my experience here I am a big advocate of the FTF community helping those that want to learn or get more involved by advising them to build their own rifle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I agree that a factory built BCM or Colt would be right at the top of the list for the best fighting carbine for around 1K. Or if you want to roll your own, put a BCM or Daniel Defense upper on the stripped lower and parts that you put together yourself. There's just something comforting to know that BCM, Colt or DD assembled and test fired your upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really do want to build my own lower... But after researching everything seems to be on back order no matter where I look. It is kind of discouraging in a way.