Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   best all around ar for around 1500 or less? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/best-all-around-ar-around-1500-less-57967/)

rayssrr 02-17-2012 05:46 PM

best all around ar for around 1500 or less?

I am asking advice on deciding the best all around ar in a 1500 or less price range. What ar is the most reliable? What ar is the easiest to breakdown and maintain? What ar is the best looking? What ar is the most universal for hunting and self defense?

AgentTikki 02-17-2012 06:23 PM

Whats the automobile around for under $50,000?

best for offroading?
best for carpooling?
best for camping?
best for long road trips?
best for drag racing?
best for grocery shopping?

I hope you get the picture.....
There are soooooo many options out there that any answer to you're question will be way to long.

Try figuring out how you intend to use this weapon, what you want out of it, and let us know and we'll help you plan accordingly.

purehavoc 02-17-2012 06:40 PM

Im just going to say this due to all the nonsense in recent threads, Do some research on here, find a couple you like in your price range, figure out what kind of shooting your going to be using it for distance, training, plinking, or HD , and then come back with a couple you have picked out and ask questions about them , or you will get so much garbage coming back at you ,your head will spin and start to swell from all the nonsence about stuff that you havent even asked about .
PH

Quentin 02-17-2012 07:24 PM

AgentTikki is right, there are so many answers to that question, you must zero in on your applications and wants. I will say with $1500 you've set a good budget to get a quality AR (with optic possibly).

As far as reliability you'll get a lot of opinions but BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense and LMT will be hard to beat.

PeeceKeeper 02-17-2012 07:51 PM

I would suggest building one from the bottom up. You'll be able to make it exactly as you'd like it, and with $1500 to spend, you have A LOT to choose from.

AgentTikki 02-17-2012 07:59 PM

gdit....need to finish my AR FOR NEWBIES...... I hate that I suck in Engrish.... :p

Quentin 02-17-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 711778)
gdit....need to finish my AR FOR NEWBIES...... I hate that I suck in Engrish.... :p

That would be a great thing for newies, AT! 'Course you put it out here and we'll all rip it to shreds!

J/K, I think! :p

... signed, AR snob and Grammar Nazi... :D

AgentTikki 02-17-2012 08:11 PM

its 13 pages and counting....revision 9 and still finding grammatical errors....... I think i'm just full of hot air >.<

mjkeat 02-17-2012 10:12 PM

I guess I'm a simpleton because I think purchasing the "correct" AR is one of the more simple things to do. There's so much information out there and things are changing but a couple days to a week of good reading and you'll have all the info you need. I enjoy reading about ARs so the research is fun.

For an "all around AR" I would go w/ a standard non M4 cut barrel. I prefer a lightweight barrel but... With a $1500 budget I would go Daniel Defense or soend around $930 on a BCM midlength and use the rest for an Aimpoint H1.

AgentTikki 02-17-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 711937)
For an "all around AR" I would go w/ a standard non M4 cut barrel. I prefer a lightweight barrel but... With a $1500 budget I would go Daniel Defense or soend around $930 on a BCM midlength and use the rest for an Aimpoint H1.

But....would that be a good choice for hunting bears? :p