Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Best .223 AR barrel for the money?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best .223 AR barrel for the money?

I've gathering info for a barrel swap on my BPMS AR in .223. Right now its got a 20" SS Bull Barrel and I want to swap it out to a sporter weight barrel and I want to do it as cheap well as inexpensive as possible. I'll be going with another 20" barrel so I can reuse anything that I can to save on costs. This rifle has less than 400 rounds through it so its really almost new and I probally won't be shooting it that much after the swap. I got it mostly for hunting. What are some of the best for the money, accurate barrels? Should I go back with a DPMS or are there some better for the money? Now I can not afford a Krieger or really anything close. I't really wouldn't have to be stainless and one with a Wylde chamber would be nice if they aren't too expensive. Any help and all opinons are really appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

have you considered just getting al whole uppper with a lighter barrel. you should be looking at the 300 to 400 dollar range.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #3

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

16" Lightweight Barrels

Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Sale of the day

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahole View Post
have you considered just getting al whole uppper with a lighter barrel. you should be looking at the 300 to 400 dollar range.
I thought about it but then I figured that if their upper was $400 they must be using a barrel that was fairly inexpensive and for about $300, thats kind of what I'm thinking on spending, I could get a better barrel. And with another upper it may have problems. I'm really looking for the best brand for the money and using anything that I've already got to save $. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
"Colt" is only a name to me. They lost my confidence years ago.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #7

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Go handle a rifle with a bull barrel, I just sold my 24" 8lb bull barrel for $300 used, it was an American Spirit Arms barrel and could put round threw the same hole at 100 yards till u got bored with doing so. Today my bushmaster varminter 24" heavy fluted barrel should be here weighing in at about 5lbs. I have shot with these barrels out to 400 yard with great results, honestly I don't think I will ever use a bull barrel again. Its just not worth the weight.

As for the light weight barrels, I have one from model "1" sales, its an er shaw barrel and it can keep 1 moa when cool.

So are you looking for extreme accuracy from a bench only, or perfect balance of weight vs. practical accuracy.

PS a complete upper with 24" bull barrel from ASA will run u about $1200 after shipping, they are not cheap by any means and will out do a $400 upper any day.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
Go handle a rifle with a bull barrel, I just sold my 24" 8lb bull barrel for $300 used, it was an American Spirit Arms barrel and could put round threw the same hole at 100 yards till u got bored with doing so. Today my bushmaster varminter 24" heavy fluted barrel should be here weighing in at about 5lbs. I have shot with these barrels out to 400 yard with great results, honestly I don't think I will ever use a bull barrel again. Its just not worth the weight.

As for the light weight barrels, I have one from model "1" sales, its an er shaw barrel and it can keep 1 moa when cool.

So are you looking for extreme accuracy from a bench only, or perfect balance of weight vs. practical accuracy.

PS a complete upper with 24" bull barrel from ASA will run u about $1200 after shipping, they are not cheap by any means and will out do a $400 upper any day.
Nat Thats what I'm saying, mine has a 20" bull barrel and I want to change it to a lighter barrel. What I'm hoping for is so opinions on who makes the best barrel for the least amount of money. I'm not looking for a bench shooter but I do love to punch paper and try t get the best accuracy that the gun is able to give me. That way if I miss an animal or what ever its my fault, not the rifle. I can't afford over $300 total right now because the family banker has put a hold on my wallet and she's got a pretty strong grip. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

my mistake some how i read that wrong, lol i thought u was looking to get a bull barrel.

try Model "1" sales, they sell er shaw barrels and so far (i have had 3) i have loved them, they seem to be accurate and perform well.

as i stated i get 1 moa out of this rifle with its light weight er shaw barrel, and yes that with the irons, not optic.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #10

Model 1 Sales: 20-inch 5.56 Gov't Profile Barrel