Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Best .223 AR barrel for the money? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/best-223-ar-barrel-money-50583/)

jbarnhart 10-26-2011 12:49 PM

Best .223 AR barrel for the money?

I've gathering info for a barrel swap on my BPMS AR in .223. Right now its got a 20" SS Bull Barrel and I want to swap it out to a sporter weight barrel and I want to do it as cheap well as inexpensive as possible. I'll be going with another 20" barrel so I can reuse anything that I can to save on costs. This rifle has less than 400 rounds through it so its really almost new and I probally won't be shooting it that much after the swap. I got it mostly for hunting. What are some of the best for the money, accurate barrels? Should I go back with a DPMS or are there some better for the money? Now I can not afford a Krieger or really anything close. I't really wouldn't have to be stainless and one with a Wylde chamber would be nice if they aren't too expensive. Any help and all opinons are really appreciated.

ahole 10-26-2011 12:54 PM

have you considered just getting al whole uppper with a lighter barrel. you should be looking at the 300 to 400 dollar range.

fsted2a 10-26-2011 01:01 PM

16" Lightweight Barrels

canebrake 10-26-2011 01:03 PM

Sale of the day

jbarnhart 10-27-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahole (Post 611025)
have you considered just getting al whole uppper with a lighter barrel. you should be looking at the 300 to 400 dollar range.

I thought about it but then I figured that if their upper was $400 they must be using a barrel that was fairly inexpensive and for about $300, thats kind of what I'm thinking on spending, I could get a better barrel. And with another upper it may have problems. I'm really looking for the best brand for the money and using anything that I've already got to save $. Thanks.

jbarnhart 10-27-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 611031)

"Colt" is only a name to me. They lost my confidence years ago.

Nathantc 10-27-2011 04:37 PM

Go handle a rifle with a bull barrel, I just sold my 24" 8lb bull barrel for $300 used, it was an American Spirit Arms barrel and could put round threw the same hole at 100 yards till u got bored with doing so. Today my bushmaster varminter 24" heavy fluted barrel should be here weighing in at about 5lbs. I have shot with these barrels out to 400 yard with great results, honestly I don't think I will ever use a bull barrel again. Its just not worth the weight.

As for the light weight barrels, I have one from model "1" sales, its an er shaw barrel and it can keep 1 moa when cool.

So are you looking for extreme accuracy from a bench only, or perfect balance of weight vs. practical accuracy.

PS a complete upper with 24" bull barrel from ASA will run u about $1200 after shipping, they are not cheap by any means and will out do a $400 upper any day.

jbarnhart 10-27-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathantc (Post 612280)
Go handle a rifle with a bull barrel, I just sold my 24" 8lb bull barrel for $300 used, it was an American Spirit Arms barrel and could put round threw the same hole at 100 yards till u got bored with doing so. Today my bushmaster varminter 24" heavy fluted barrel should be here weighing in at about 5lbs. I have shot with these barrels out to 400 yard with great results, honestly I don't think I will ever use a bull barrel again. Its just not worth the weight.

As for the light weight barrels, I have one from model "1" sales, its an er shaw barrel and it can keep 1 moa when cool.

So are you looking for extreme accuracy from a bench only, or perfect balance of weight vs. practical accuracy.

PS a complete upper with 24" bull barrel from ASA will run u about $1200 after shipping, they are not cheap by any means and will out do a $400 upper any day.

Nat Thats what I'm saying, mine has a 20" bull barrel and I want to change it to a lighter barrel. What I'm hoping for is so opinions on who makes the best barrel for the least amount of money. I'm not looking for a bench shooter but I do love to punch paper and try t get the best accuracy that the gun is able to give me. That way if I miss an animal or what ever its my fault, not the rifle. I can't afford over $300 total right now because the family banker has put a hold on my wallet and she's got a pretty strong grip. Thanks for your input.

Nathantc 10-27-2011 06:05 PM

my mistake some how i read that wrong, lol i thought u was looking to get a bull barrel.

try Model "1" sales, they sell er shaw barrels and so far (i have had 3) i have loved them, they seem to be accurate and perform well.

as i stated i get 1 moa out of this rifle with its light weight er shaw barrel, and yes that with the irons, not optic.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...0-20163221.jpg

Nathantc 10-27-2011 06:06 PM

Model 1 Sales: 20-inch 5.56 Gov't Profile Barrel