Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > And it begins!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default And it begins!

I am starting my build my lower is what I will start with anyone interested can follow my post here and I will continue to update it until its complete and will end it with a range report!
First off we have here a Del-Ton stripped lower I picked this up for a cool $70 wow!!! It was a blemished lower from the factory my dealers guess was a new operator that didn't do the best job on the finish. To a random person you would not find the blemish but with my experience I spotted it and I have to say you won't see it on the picture but IV seen new guns at the LGS have more blemishes from being handled in the store! Very happy with this buy! If anyone wants to throw in a suggestion on a upper I will use this for killing beer cans and other things down on the river or on my land looking to shoot 500 yards at least. Hope you enjoy my build as much as I do!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm11chad View Post
If anyone wants to throw in a suggestion on a upper I will use this for killing beer cans and other things down on the river or on my land looking to shoot 500 yards at least.
Sounds like you're not really after the lighter/faster/shorter design. You can shoot 500+yds with almost any common AR and even with 55gr ball...but most of the more common designs are going to require a fair amount of compensation (not to mention skill and patience) for bullet drop beyond the first 300yds or so.

Ultimately step one is probably to select the ammunition that will acheive your desired results. Consider the range in question, ballistic coefficient, cost you're willing to spend per round, rate of fire, etc. Knowing what rounds you're going to shoot will point you in the right direction toward choosing the barrel design (length, density, and material) that will match it.

If you're after a precise "long range only" AR, a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate will probably serve you best with the bullets that excel at those ranges. You may want a longer barrel, you may want a thicker (or maybe even stainless) barrel as well. And getting a decent trigger setup would also probably be a great benefit.

I think 1:8 twist is a vastly underutilized option. You could make a pretty good case that it's actually the most versatile and practical option for many AR platforms.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So today I put my lower parts in and boy was it fun IV done it a few time before but it's been about a year! So I'm trying to put the hammer spring on the trigger and it wasn't working took me about 10 min to figure out what I was doing wrong!!! I felt like a complete idiot!!
Anyways I'm thinking about a 300 BLK upper but not sure I might just go with a 5.56 it's really hard for me to decide I can get 300 ammo for about 10¢ more per round than 5.56. I plan on shooting down at the river and maybe hunt a hog or small game such as rabbit! Or armadillo or coon, coyote and my most shot game beer cans ha