Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Beginning the process of my first AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Todd - your rifle looks almost identical to one I'm thinking about building. Only difference is the upper I'm looking at has the 15" Midwest free-float guard with the round tube and rail on the top. Looks very good!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus
Todd - your rifle looks almost identical to one I'm thinking about building. Only difference is the upper I'm looking at has the 15" Midwest free-float guard with the round tube and rail on the top. Looks very good!
I may be going to that hand guard someday, this one was the only option they had on the PSA website that had a low profile gas block on it, hey didn't have the round gen 2 guards. I find this one pleasing enough, it does the job and then some!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Hope all goes well and you get it fixed where you and your new friend get to spend a lot of time together.
Thanks man, I'm hoping to get this last section of my life behind me and get going. It's bull**** to be in a spot like this at 24, but that's how the cards played out. Working in EMS sure didn't help, all the ridiculously fat people always lived on the fifth floor in a building with no elevator....

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_

I may be going to that hand guard someday, this one was the only option they had on the PSA website that had a low profile gas block on it, hey didn't have the round gen 2 guards. I find this one pleasing enough, it does the job and then some!
The one I'm considering has the round Gen 1 handguard, but it's still very might and easy to hold. The Gen 2 round are significantly smaller in diameter. I think I prefer the beefier feel of the Gen 1.

I've been looking at the PSA uppers too.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
The one I'm considering has the round Gen 1 handguard, but it's still very might and easy to hold. The Gen 2 round are significantly smaller in diameter. I think I prefer the beefier feel of the Gen 1.

I've been looking at the PSA uppers too.
Like women thinner is better, to a point. If you use a thumb over grip a thinner rail is nice.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #26

I see. I have never owned an AR before, so the thumb over the top is a weird feeling for me. I grew up shooting bolt guns and the thumb over the barrel was a no-no. But if you are used to shooting with thumb over the top, I can see how a smaller diameter handguard would be better.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I see. I have never owned an AR before, so the thumb over the top is a weird feeling for me. I grew up shooting bolt guns and the thumb over the barrel was a no-no. But if you are used to shooting with thumb over the top, I can see how a smaller diameter handguard would be better.
It really took a while to get used to but I stuck w/ it and shot placement is easier and faster. It also makes for solid target to target transitions. Much more so than the magwell grip or any other grip I've tried for that matter.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #28

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay. Placed my second order. It's just a couple of bits.

First off, my little personal touch. I just like it, even though most will think it's goofy.

Then I ordered my flash hider.

As well as my AR wrench and my set of brass punches. I may not get it all in one night, but I'll nickel and dime this sucker into a nice '15 by the time I'm done. At current rate, I'm estimating a month to month and a half build.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #29

Ugh. Just checked the status of my lower. It is literally sitting forty miles from my front door, and has been there since 6:02 last night. It won't be delivered before Monday afternoon to my LGS so I can pick it up. That's frustrating to know it's not far off, but just sitting on a shelf.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #30

Okay. Status update. Lower came in yesterday, but the LGS was closed. Picked it up, and ordered the following: (Thanks to AgentTikki for recommending parts.)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/2348/image/2087/

https://www.primaryarms.com/Bravo_Company_5_56_223_Charging_Handle_Mod_3_p/bcmgunfighter3.htm

So, if all goes well, by this weekend I'll be happily putting together my lower. (Well, that and blowing away zombies. New Operation Raccoon City game came out today too!!)