Beginning the process of my first AR build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Beginning the process of my first AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry I don't mean to but in on anyone's thread but I as well started my first build today its a spikes lower with a dpms assembly kit. I love the poundage on the trigger, feels exactly like my ak. I installed the ergo grip and enhanced trigger guard bya magpul. Tomorrow I will be completing the lower as soon as my stock and buffer assembly arrive in the mail.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Spike's sure is popular...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfirepower View Post
Sorry I don't mean to but in on anyone's thread but I as well started my first build today its a spikes lower with a dpms assembly kit. I love the poundage on the trigger, feels exactly like my ak. I installed the ergo grip and enhanced trigger guard bya magpul. Tomorrow I will be completing the lower as soon as my stock and buffer assembly arrive in the mail.
Aren't AKs known for having bad triggers?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #14

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
1) Barrel nut wrench/combo tool . The combo tool will have the wrench you will need to tighten the barrel nut and install the muzzle brake if you are putting one on. It will also have the wrench for installing a free float handguard barrel nut. 2) Vise block. This will secure the upper receiver safely in a vise so you can torque the barrel nut and flash suppressor. 3) Punch set and hammer. You will need these if you are installing a standard pinned on front sight tower. A bench block helps here also when installing the pins. Hex head tool set for gas blocks with set screws. 4) Roll pin punch set. This is for installing the gas tube in the gas block/front sight tower. 5) Strap wrench. For tightening a free float handguard if you are installing one.
Thanks G17. That helps a lot. Now I know what I should be ordering for the tool kits, rather than winding up with a couple hundred dollars in stuff I don't need.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

Aren't AKs known for having bad triggers?
Once upon a time they were but all te ones that are coming out have great triggers . Nice crisp pulls. They don't have any of that horrid lag(is what I call it) excuse my lack of proper terminology.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #16

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfirepower View Post
Once upon a time they were but all te ones that are coming out have great triggers . Nice crisp pulls. They don't have any of that horrid lag(is what I call it) excuse my lack of proper terminology.
The WASR I got 5 years ago came with a real good trigger which surprised me. It's a Tapco G2 and has stayed pretty crisp too.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

For the OP, congratulations. I just finished my first build myself, and it really feels great to have the rifle my way, exactly how I wanted it.

I'm sure you have done umpteen hundred hours of research already, I know I had. I can tell simply because you already named the two companies I consider the best bang for the buck without losing any quality, spikes and PSA. I myself had my sights set on Spikes (pardon the pun) but could NEVER find them in stock. That's when I opened my eyes a bit more and found PSA. PSA is now what Spikes was a year ago. Spikes raised their prices a bit since they blew up in popularity, or so I'm told, and PSA is now the new guy experiencing growing pains for the exact same reason.... High dollar quality at crazy prices.

I'm going to ramble a bit, all the information I spent countless nights researching is all bouncing around in my head, and I'm sure you know most of it already. If you happen to learn a thing or two, fantastic, that makes my research that much more valuable because I helped someone else save some time/frustration.

Don't pay extra for "Cold Hammer Forged" barrels. They DO offer a small increase in the projected lifespan of a barrel. Small. They also cost LESS than the older style barrels to manufacture. Why would they cost more, then? The machine to make them is something like a $20 million dollar investment, so initially they are charging more for them to make up the cost. When I bought my rifle kit from PSA (more on that later) I could have paid an extra $100 for a CHF barrel... Which is somewhere in the range of a 25-40% increase in the barrel cost for what amounts to being able to drive a car 500,000 miles instead of 450,000. The extra cost just isn't worth it, and in however many years it takes for your barrel to wear out (which will be a long time to begin with since PSA and Spikes make their barrels out of 4150 steel and chrome lines them), well by that time CHF will be standard and not cost any extra. Get one then.

Get a mid-length has system unless you are making a short-barreled rifle complete with the tax stamp. Mid-lengths have MANY advantages, most I can't remember, but some are they run smoother than carbine length. It has to do with the dwell time and pressures that come from keeping the gas port 7.5" from the end of the barrel instead of 9.5" like the carbine does. 9.5" creates the potential for quite a few issues, I believe.

Anyways, I got tired of waiting on a ST upper, I wanted to get the ball rolling! PSA had their items in stock and after doing my research, I found that they had the exact same spec sheet as spikes, or even bravo company and other high dollar manufacturers. HP/MP testing, 4150 steel, they make FANTASTIC rifles.

I ordered the 16" mid-length 1:7 twist chrome lined rifle kit for damn cheap, straight off their website. I customized it at checkout like you can do and opted for the MOE stock, MOE grip, Magpul MBUS front and rear sights, and the MI T15 handguard with a low profile gas block all from the factory. Having the complete upper sent to you takes a LOT of hassle out of building the rifle, now you don't need to worry about a torque wrench for the barrel nut or messing with the gas system.

They have recently expanded their handguard selection and include the MI T12 rail as well as the T15, but I prefer the 15". My avatar is a picture of the rifle with the rail on it, I have never been a fan of the fixed FSP. YMMV

As far as tools, I built mine today with a pair of needlenose pliers, a hammer, and a set of roll pin punches. Would I recommend it? HELL NO!

Get a vise, and a lower receiver block. With a premade upper you don't need an upper receiver block, but if you buy one for future. Just make sure to get one with an insert that protects and supports the INSIDE of the chamber for the install of the barrel and handguard. Roll pin punches are a must, and roll pin holders would have made life simple. Be warned, I spent an hour on the floor of my kitchen searching for my rear takedown pin detent spring after it shot across the room. I found it under my stove. Those things are a bitch and a half, especially the rear when installing the magpul ASAP plate because of the two ridges that hug the lower receiver. Make sure you are in an area where you can find lost springs, just in case. You might want to order a LPK spare parts kit just in case, they are always good to have around and are cheap, just the springs and detents or so.

What else, what else.... I already THOROUGHLY endorsed PSA and Spikes, with preference to PSA. Talked about tools, CHF barrels, and gas systems.... The rest is really up to you, it's your build. I think Magpul could **** gold, and anything they make is good to go in my book. Unless you are going to do competition sharpshooting, go with a chrome lined barrel. A regular A2 flash hider will work fine unless you are a night-vision using badass, and a compensator will help with recoil but that's generally saved for guys looking to shave every millisecond off their shots for competition.... Plus anyone at a range next to you will hate you. It's a .223, a compensator isn't needed unless your a competitor (or a wimp )

Oh, optics. I opted to go with a bipod and vortex scope for fun. My rifle will be mostly for target shooting, and vortex makes great glass all the way down to their $200 scopes. Primary arms makes a fantastic micro dot for $80 if you are against shelling out $500 for an aimpoint or a EOTech. Primary arms also makes great magnifiers if you want to magnify your red dot or whatnot, look in to them. Optics are different than the gun itself, and it is truly a game of you get what you pay for, but Primary arms is another example of a company making a product (it's micro red dot) that costs less than its comparable counterparts.

Have fun with it, above all.

Todd_

Attached is my first baby I put together today

ETA: schpelling errurs.

image-2313679601.jpg   image-2396869933.jpg   image-3297599671.jpg  

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Todd_; 03-14-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #18

Nice looking Todd, but, while I have done research, I owe G17, MJ and many others on here for the issue of what I'm getting and putting together, since they recommend X, and I trust their judgement. Now, where the hell is the range report for your new toy???

Old 03-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
Nice looking Todd, but, while I have done research, I owe G17, MJ and many others on here for the issue of what I'm getting and putting together, since they recommend X, and I trust their judgement. Now, where the hell is the range report for your new toy???
Well, it may be today if I can get to the range and my back allows it. I'm having surgery for really big herniations between l4-l5 and l5-s1 on the 19th and want to shoot it before then, but I may not get the chance of my back didn't behave. It has been horrible the last week, to the point I'm pretty much in bed 95% of the time. Building the AR yesterday was a feat of agony, but it was worth it. I payed for it all through last night, no amount of oxycodone can kill the stabbing feeling if I overdo it. So, again, hopefully today.... But maybe not. We will see!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
Well, it may be today if I can get to the range and my back allows it. I'm having surgery for really big herniations between l4-l5 and l5-s1 on the 19th and want to shoot it before then, but I may not get the chance of my back didn't behave. It has been horrible the last week, to the point I'm pretty much in bed 95% of the time. Building the AR yesterday was a feat of agony, but it was worth it. I payed for it all through last night, no amount of oxycodone can kill the stabbing feeling if I overdo it. So, again, hopefully today.... But maybe not. We will see!

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Hope all goes well and you get it fixed where you and your new friend get to spend a lot of time together.