Beginning the process of my first AR build - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Beginning the process of my first AR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Mj has a good point. MOEs aren't the lightest. But they are modular so putting on a sling mount, and light mount is a breeze.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 03-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #102

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I figure for 30 bucks, if I don't like it, it would be a lot easier to change out for what I plan on getting (YHM Diamond) down the road. But, as previously stated, I don't want mamma to neuter me for dropping too much at this point.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #103

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Except you'll have to holes in the bottom of your barrel which will be exposed unless you go w/ a 15" rail.

YHM? why?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Except you'll have to holes in the bottom of your barrel which will be exposed unless you go w/ a 15" rail.

YHM? why?
I like the idea of a 15". With my wingspan, the longer the better. The YHM seems to be getting solid reviews, isn't nearly as insane as similar products prices from bigger names.
Obviously, nothing is written in stone at this point and time, and, as usual, I am open to suggestions.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #105

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You'll find someone willing to give anything a good review.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
You'll find someone willing to give anything a good review.
I'm old enough, and you guys have made me become VERY aware of the 'It's gots a trigger and goes bang so it's all good' crowd.
I don't read reviews on any one site alone, but if you have an opinion, you should definitely air it. You and Tikki are both held in high regard, and when you two say something, I tend to pay attention.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #107

Okay, that sounded bad. Let me rephrase. I'd appreciate your opinion on what you'd recommend on it. I'll start with the MOE, but want an upgrade, obviously.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #108

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

YHM makes great middle of the line products. From the stuff that I have handled its well built, but not particularly the lightest.

Example the 15" YHM diamond is 19.8 oz, the Samson Evolution 15" is 13.4 oz. That's approximately a 47% heavier. The YHM is approx $180, the Evo $190.

I couldn't find the weight of the 15" Troy TRX but the Samson evo 12.37" is 11 oz and the Troy 13" is 11 oz, so I'd guess the Troy 15" would be approximately 13 oz or bit less. It goes for about $190 too.

I'm not sure how the Troy or YHM mount, but the Samson doesn't require any special proprietary barrel nuts, which makes installation easier.

These are probably the main reason why I wouldn't consider the YHM. Plus I have a Samson RA 12" on my 16" RUC and its very very nice. I wish Samson would make a 15" in the RA styel....

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
YHM makes great middle of the line products. From the stuff that I have handled its well built, but not particularly the lightest.

Example the 15" YHM diamond is 19.8 oz, the Samson Evolution 15" is 13.4 oz. That's approximately a 47% heavier. The YHM is approx $180, the Evo $190.

I couldn't find the weight of the 15" Troy TRX but the Samson evo 12.37" is 11 oz and the Troy 13" is 11 oz, so I'd guess the Troy 15" would be approximately 13 oz or bit less. It goes for about $190 too.

I'm not sure how the Troy or YHM mount, but the Samson doesn't require any special proprietary barrel nuts, which makes installation easier.

These are probably the main reason why I wouldn't consider the YHM. Plus I have a Samson RA 12" on my 16" RUC and its very very nice. I wish Samson would make a 15" in the RA styel....
Ah! I plead guilty to not checking the weight, and I've discovered you can ounce yourself into carrying a small car in this project.
I also wasn't aware of the proprietary barrel nut issue. I'll check out Samson then.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #110

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Ah! I plead guilty to not checking the weight, and I've discovered you can ounce yourself into carrying a small car in this project.
I also wasn't aware of the proprietary barrel nut issue. I'll check out Samson then.
DING DING DING

I can vouch as well as most of the guys at the range for the Samson Evo.

-John Ruskin

Quote: