Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCM Cool Aid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

Default BCM Cool Aid?

I Agree BCM sells good components, but they do not make them. I see people worshiping BCM products and arguing if they are better than other brands. For example the BCG, it is made by Daniel Defense and stamped for them. I've heard arguments between BCM and DD BCG'S. Not a valid argument, only difference is the name brand stamp. Just a random thought, I've brought this up with dealers and distributors, and They seem to know this, but why does nobody else?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

WELL, BCM does things like high pressure testing, that Daniel Defence doesn't. What I boils down to is that BCM is pickier about what they order, and does testing to back it up. Theoretically this should lower the chances of having a stoppage. Though they may order from the same sources as another company, they can order testing done to make sure its of higher quality. This attention to details is what drives fan bois nutso.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

But nowadays even an "entry level" brand like Delton does HPI/MPT testing on its bolts..

PS:I just sold a BCM BCG in new packaging to someone from the forums who was despearte to complete a build and marked it up onlyby 90 bucks to support fellow american during this crises.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just because its tagged mpi/hpi doesn't mean it necessarily is. Most companies will opt to batch test, not individually test each item. If they batch test them, just how many out of a thousand made are actually test? Those companies will never say........its just easier to mark each one MPI HPI tested. BCM has posted all their testing paperwork. I'd like Delton to do the same.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I think BCM makes a fine product, however at the same time I'm not all that inclined to pay for their name. I looked at several products they sell, and they were quite a few % points higher than other reputable brands. I'm pretty picky about my guns and their parts, but this is also a ****ty economy and every dime counts. Would I use BCM were money not an object? Sure, probably all the time. While I'm unemployed and saving every penny I can? Not likely, as it just isn't cost effective.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #6

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
WELL, BCM does things like high pressure testing, that Daniel Defence doesn't. What I boils down to is that BCM is pickier about what they order, and does testing to back it up. Theoretically this should lower the chances of having a stoppage. Though they may order from the same sources as another company, they can order testing done to make sure its of higher quality. This attention to details is what drives fan bois nutso.
Can't be said much better than this. BCM is a sure thing, the com spec wannabes, well you take your chances. BCM posts detailed specs while some others just say we're as good as.

BCM doesn't do as much in house as Daniel Defense but both produce an excellent product. Different philosophies but roughly the same end game.

I'd like to see evidence that DD makes BCM's BCGs. I always suspected it was FN.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-23-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Say what you want. Delton makes a good carbine and they make a not so good carbine. Quality depends on what you pay. Mine isnt entry level and its proven rock solid. I'll pass on the kool-aid.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I drink the hell out of some BCM kool aid. Their parts aren't that much more expensive and they're awesome. Pretty much the only BCGs and barrels I'll use.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Say what you want. Delton makes a good carbine and they make a not so good carbine. Quality depends on what you pay. Mine isnt entry level and its proven rock solid. I'll pass on the kool-aid.
I also owned one of the non-entry level Deltons.
it was just a fantastic firearm. sold it to a good friend of mine who needed an AR but was on a budget.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

daniel defense batch tests at best which is why the price is cheaper. since my bcm carbine and my wife's bcm carbine are firearms we will be staking our lives on when things go ohsht i want to be sure its as trouble free as can be humanly possible to make a firearm.

not saying dd is bad i just know exactly how and to what standard bcm has their components made to. daniel defense and others there is some question as to that standard. i dont have to wonder if my particular bcg was actually inspected and tested i know it was. with batch testing you just have to luck out and get one out of the batch that was actually tested. my life and my wife's life are worth the extra 20$ t know its not a flawed bcg

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...