BCM Build or Sig M400
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCM Build or Sig M400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BCM Build or Sig M400

I'm thinking of my first build and considering a build using BCM lower and upper or just purchasing a Sig M400. Would like some feedback and advice on which way to go. I do like the idea of getting the experience building an AR.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

I meant to say I am thinking of a Colt 6920 purchase as well.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

BCM would be the better option to me because you could get a Mid Length gas system upper. The recoil would be reduced making follow up shots more on target.
What is your purpose for the rifle? Are you going to put a Red Dot or a Scope on it? We need to know more to help you out better.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Bcm is a superb choice made in wisconsin. HIGHLY recomend the midlength uppers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

BCM > Colt >> Sig in my opinion.

I highly recommend building your lower. Way more fun. Buy a complete bcm upper they havea ton to choose from whatever your intended use may be.

Check out the stickies and Quentin' lower recciever picture thread and start shopping!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Still open on the scope but this is for self defense this is my main purpose. Looks as if BCM is the way to go. I want to build the gun I want first time and build it right. Barrel length is one thing I'm unsure of. I do like mid- length as this was my first build option.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Go with a 16" ur first time out.

That way you can swap out muzzle device if you want to.

A 14.5" is a little lighter but not a lot. It will handle a little better to but I really think a nice 16"er will be a lot more versatile.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Go with a 16" ur first time out.

That way you can swap out muzzle device if you want to.

A 14.5" is a little lighter but not a lot. It will handle a little better to but I really think a nice 16"er will be a lot more versatile.
I agree. 16 inch is about as low as you can go without any real substantial impact on performance past 250yards. Its a pretty good length and if you just gotta have shorter put in the paperwork and 200$ tax for the sbr stamp. Welding up a 14 or shorter barrel to hit legal length has never made sense to me.

My lgs stocks colt bushmaster on occasion and sw bcm sell for the price of colts and the quality is a bit better on most accesory choices especially if you get a bcm tricked out with the midwest industries rails or something. The colts that come with magpul are equal to the bcm but no contest when colt packages their ar15 with other addons

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #9

Can someone tell me what they think of these two choices. Thanks again for all the help.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm

Or

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ive got the bfh version its a great upper. the other one is damn good too. you cant miss with either one