Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   BCM Build questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bcm-build-questions-68741/)

Wi_Hunter556 07-23-2012 12:11 AM

BCM Build questions

Alright, I've been really curious about the BCMs for quite some time now. I don't have the money to throw out there to order a complete rifle but would the prices vary much by building a rifle piece by piece? I've been wanting to save for an optic but with the way its looking for gun control lately I'm pondering about just buying uppers/lowers whenever I have the cash to do so.

I'm a poor recently HS graduate that ships for basic in november.

What's are ya'lls opinions?

okdonk 07-23-2012 12:21 AM

BCM is one of the best brands out there. Many users here love BCM. Yes building it sometimes is definitely cheaper but some parts are hard to get. Patience is necessary ;). The most important of building, you gain knowledge of the rifle itself inside and outside.
Check out other top brands like DD, Noveske and Spike's.

If you are on a budget, check out PSA. Great products with great prices.

JonM 07-23-2012 12:21 AM

if your going to piece em together your going to have to be very careful of shipping costs when ordering various subcomponents. the margin between buying and building is not all that great and can be easily overcome by poor shopping choices as shipping can be pricey.

Wi_Hunter556 07-23-2012 12:33 AM

well atm im thinking when i get back to WI, im going to order a complete lower...then order the 14.5 middy....and then the bolt, charging handle, and furniture after that. i wish i had the cash to order everything at once, but that aint happenin.

and i do realize the shipping issure, it smart to order things together and not piece by piece...at 15-20 bucks a pop for shipping single parts, that will add up quick

okdonk 07-23-2012 12:43 AM

Building a lower is much cheaper than buying complete though, just saying..
For instance, a Spike's stripped lower ($90) and a STR LPK kit from PSA ($150). Both shipped free. As i said, getting a certain parts like lowers are hard.
I ordered 3 Spike's Pirate from Aimsurplus on friday and i'm going to cancel the order tomorrow. I just realised i won't be building any for the time being. ;(.

okdonk 07-23-2012 12:46 AM

Just for anyone's information. I just received an email from Aim seconds ago. My order of the 3 Spike's Pirate is successfully cancelled. So give them a call or go to their web site and order it. At least right now they have 3 available. ;).

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-23-2012 04:05 AM

It would be smart to grab anything you can get, especially lowers. I'm in California, one of the worst states for gun laws, now hearing rumors about some law trying to ban a magazine release all together on AR's. We already have to deal with the magazine release tool. Can't wait to see what's going to happen now after the Colorado thing. Every time something like this happens they tighten the belt laws.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-23-2012 04:08 AM

I'm looking for an auto bolt carrier group.I'm considering BCM. How do these stack up against D.D, Spikes, or YHM? Anyone running a BCM ?

okdonk 07-23-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25
I'm looking for an auto bolt carrier group.I'm considering BCM. How do these stack up against D.D, Spikes, or YHM? Anyone running a BCM ?

For current situation, grab the BCM bcg while they have. For $149 plus shipping, very good price. BCM is one of the best brands and they have in stocks! DD or Spikes are good too but who has them in stock? Not sure about YHM though.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-23-2012 04:17 AM

Thanks brother