bcm bfh lightweight middy upgrade

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > bcm bfh lightweight middy upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Default bcm bfh lightweight middy upgrade

i upgraded my bcm bfh lightwieght middy to the new midwest industries lightweight keymod

coming in at 10.7 ounces with gasblock

it replaces my moe handguards, fixed front sight base, slip ring, and handguard spacer which comes in at 17.2 ounces

as you notice in the top pic the fftube is missing a lot of picatinny. this is a good thing in my book. less mass makes it lighter up front and more handy. the way mi has designed this tube retains all the possible structural integrity yet cuts all the unneeded weight and mass.

this thing has the feel of a stiff steel rod. i cannot exert enough pressure even with a sling to put any noticable bend in it.

i took the gun apart several weeks ago and thought i knew which way i was going to take it. second guessing made me waffle around long enough to lose track of the lower. finally found it a bit ago wedged in a box when i had cleaned my work bench.

with optic its 7 pounds 8 ounces without optic it 6 pounds 11 ounces

if i moved to a moe stock i could shed more weight but i lose the storage for the few parts i carry in the stock. plus i really like the magpul acs-l stock with its well placed check rests.

ive contemplated ditching the irons but havent fully decided. trigger is a cmc 3.5 pound single stage. optic is a acog 4x32 green chevron. bcm gunfighter grip, charging handle and compensator. bcg is from bcm as well as the upper and lower. front sight is a magpul mbus2 polymer rear is a matech.

i expect that due to the very open nature of the MI keymod cooling after extended firing will be about as fast as you can get without ice water

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-16-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Quentin Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #2

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Very nice! And losing almost 7 ounces to boot, hard to argue with that.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 231 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 65

MI makes good rails.. love them. And the installation is one of the easiest and simplest too.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im fortunate to live only 20 minutes from their showroom and shop. great bunch of folks over there. if anyone is equal to the customer support bcm built their rep on its midwest industries. they are the bcm of the accessory world.

they are also now a manufacturer of ar15 billet uppers and lowers and have their own line of rifles using fn barrels.

Troy, the owner, is the one responsible for me owning a scar17. it was shortly after my wife decided my savahe 10 fcp-sr was hers, i was in their shop poking around and he asked me if i was looking for anything in particular. i related how the wife took my rifle and he reached up and handed me a scar17...

it didnt take much for me to fall in love with it. Troy is possibly a bigger scar17 fan than i am. he has a fleet of em.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Very nice! And losing almost 7 ounces to boot, hard to argue with that.
losing that 7 ounces on the front really changes the feel of the gun. it feels much much faster to swing.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

took it to the range today and its very lightweight and seems to be just as accurate before holding about 1.5-2 moa mostly because i couldnt seem to hold still today.

anyway if you were wonder how well the MI keymod works... it works damn well. the barrel heats up quick because it is a thin profile but all the ventilation makes it cool damn quick.

this vid is after two 20 round mags hot enough to get the oil smoking but the handguard isnt that hot as you can see im holding it at the gas block you can see the smoke

http://www.firearmstalk.com/video/mi-lightweight-keymod-heat-32.html

i could have easily done better as you can see its accurate with a wide variety of ammo and the stringing was mainly horizontal because i was unable to hold still today.

69smk 77smk hornady 77match pmc 62 xtac 52grain unknown hp 55grain fmj unknown maker

as you can see i do not always punch out the x-ring. im going to blame it on donating double platellete and plasma on a plasmapherisis machine yesterday. im still a bit exhausted from that

Last edited by JonM; 07-19-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jon, i have a number of the Gen 2 SS and now key mod rails. I have had the rifles hot to the point they look like a burning haystack however the rail remained cool enough that I had no problems with bare hand holding. As you found MI makes some great products.