Bcm bcg vs psa bcg
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bcm bcg vs psa bcg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bcm bcg vs psa bcg

Im wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade from the psa full auto bcg to the bcm? I know that bcm is pretty much top of the line but is it worth the extra 90 bucks or so? Seems the specs on both are pretty much the same. So what says you. Thanks Anthony

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #2

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_man2003 View Post
Im wondering if it is really worth it to upgrade from the psa full auto bcg to the bcm? I know that bcm is pretty much top of the line but is it worth the extra 90 bucks or so? Seems the specs on both are pretty much the same. So what says you. Thanks Anthony
I would say it depends on the type of rifle you have and what you use it for. Is it something to take into the woods and bang around? Is it for precision?
In my experience BCM is a superior product, but weather or not its worth the extra money depends on how much use your rifle gets. If you only put 1000 or so rds a year through it the PSA will be just fine.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I'd rather go for Spike's rather than the PSA.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 503

If you already have a working bcg no

If you dont yes
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

If you have a PSA rifle, use the PSA BCG. If you have a Frankenrifle and you need a BCG then go with the PSA BCG. I haven't been met with a situation yet where I would need a more expensive BCG than what's already in a rifle.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a psa complete upper. I had also considered trading out the bolt for the psa premium bolt. I think it would only cost me a few buck when i sell the old one. The rifle is unfired yet. Im still modding it. A list of build parts are

Psa mid length chf upper with bcg and charging handle
Psa classic blem lower
Rock river nm 2 stage trigger
Magpul funiture in fde ctr stock
Kries anti roll trigger pins
Spikes tactical h2 buffer
Bcm mod 4 charging handle
Magpul mbus in fde
Aimpoint pro red dot

And im thinking of duracoating the rifle in magpul fde. What you guys think? Thanks Anthony

Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You shouldnt use anti roll pins on lower that doesnt use a 1 piece trigger pack.

The ar15 pins are supposed to roll. This prevents binding which can cause failure to ignite or slow ignition by retarding the hammer strike.

A properly built lower will not have pin drift through tens of thousands of firings

The original pins have cutouts that fit the springs which prevent walking but allow dirty dry or gummed up pins to rotate freely
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-15-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I see these 'upgrade' posts a lot, especially when it comes to bolt carrier groups

As of yet, I have not seen reports of these failing to begin with. However, aftermarket manufacturers, tactical dealers and hard core enthusiasts on the inter-web have done a good job of convincing some that their AR's aren't worth a damn unless they re-build the thing with parts that would make a complete build cost $4000.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I see these 'upgrade' posts a lot, especially when it comes to bolt carrier groups

As of yet, I have not seen reports of these failing to begin with. However, aftermarket manufacturers, tactical dealers and hard core enthusiasts on the inter-web have done a good job of convincing some that their AR's aren't worth a damn unless they re-build the thing with parts that would make a complete build cost $4000.
Depends on how its being used.

Typical user is going to go out 6-9 times a year and run 50-150 rounds each session. For such people anything will do even the most shoddy dpms/bushmaster out there. They serve just fine for such things as well as home defense.

For the person that goes out and pops off 5000-6000 rounds on a prairie dog shoot a properly made shot peened mpi inspected bcg with a carpenter steel bolt is probably a necessity and they probably still take a spare.

Same is true for someone that goes to carbine classes frequently.

Then there are folks that have experienced hell on hunting trips from cheaping out and something critical breaks. I fall into that category. Im done spending several thousand on a vacation hunt with the wife only to be sidelined in the middle of nowhere forced to use a backup gun because i cut corners on gear.

You dont have to get the best you can but if your depending on it to function its a good idea to minimize the risk of failure and a ruined outing.

Just my experience with lowend firearms optics and gear

Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
For the person that goes out and pops off 5000-6000 rounds on a prairie dog shoot a properly made shot peened mpi inspected bcg with a carpenter steel bolt is probably a necessity and they probably still take a spare.
-anyone who can afford to drop $1000 or so on ammo can probably afford to buy top-end to begin with. If someone with that kind of $$ goes out and buys a Bushmaster Carbon rifle then their issue isn't $$......... it's lack of knowledge

-never had a bolt action rifle malfunction on any kind of hunt. But I'm no gopher hunter so more power to yaz

- STILL waiting for one of you high-experience guys to talk about BCG failures (of any kind) that you have experienced.

Newest Threads