Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bcm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Well if PSA is included with those names listed above as far as quality goes, one would be stupid not to pick one up for the prices they have

Edit: They have a hammer forged mid length rifle kit for 599. And 80 bucks for their stripped lower receiver plus whatever transfer fees, brings a total gun in less than a BCM upper alone.

Last edited by blucoondawg; 03-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
Well if PSA is included with those names listed above as far as quality goes, one would be stupid not to pick one up for the prices they have

Edit: They have a hammer forged mid length rifle kit for 599. And 80 bucks for their stripped lower receiver plus whatever transfer fees, brings a total gun in less than a BCM upper alone.
BCM uppers start at $399 with a hammer forged upper going for $489.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyone View Post
BCM uppers start at $399 with a hammer forged upper going for $489.
those are the carbine length ones without handguards, I was looking at the midlength uppers with handguards, those models also do not include the bolt carrier group or charging handle, by the time you buy all that stuff you are over 700 bucks with shipping and tax, and that would be with a cheap handguard

Last edited by blucoondawg; 03-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can get a midlength upper with magpul moe handguards for about $430 from g and r tactical. The carbine and midlength are the same prices as I listed earlier. I understand they don't include bcg or ch but you originally stated just the upper.

The PSA rifle kit comes with a standard m4 handguard not one of the handguard options listed on BCM's website.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It is definitely cheaper to build a rifle using a PSA rifle kit but a similar BCM can be done for a couple hundred more. From what I have read PSA makes a great product at a great price.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #16

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

On a tight budget PSA is a great choice. They have to be on anyone's short list but I'd kick in a little more for the BCM. After all you may have the rifle for decades so what's an extra $100 or so spread out over the years.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
On a tight budget PSA is a great choice. They have to be on anyone's short list but I'd kick in a little more for the BCM. After all you may have the rifle for decades so what's an extra $100 or so spread out over the years.
I agree. PSA has a decent following, I'll probably own one eventually, but they are still fairly new and have had some growing pains.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

*insert obligatory PSA support here*

It's just easier this way.

BCM rocks. They are an established company with a great rifle and CS.

PSA rocks. They are a newer company with, I'll venture to say it, an equally great rifle, but they don't have the reputation of the CS behind them yet. The CS is just hard to reach, that's the only issue, and its because of their exponential growth.

The price difference is due to the established reputation and the CS. That's it. I would stake my money on PSA having exceptionally low tolerances just like any other top brand, they just don't have the reputation behind their name to be able to sell their rifles at the same prices as BCM or Colt.... YET.

Example:

A new car company emerges. It produces a high-end sports car, on par with Ferrari. On paper, the car has all the same specification as the Ferrari. It looks just like it (ignore trademark issues) and when the cars are run side by side through the same tests, both cars pass. Both cars have double stitched leather interiors, both have bulletproof engines. The new car company hasn't established itself, and therefore sells its car at 60-75% of the price of the Ferrari, with the understanding that you may have to wait on the phone a while if you want to call the new car company with questions because they are swamped and cant keep up with demand, not yet anyways. One day, the new car will sell for the same price as the Ferrari, but it has to establish itself first... otherwise who would buy a new car without a repuation when for the same price they can buy whats already proven itself?

Thats how I look at it. Any debate about there being quality differences between the PSA and BCM are hypothetical, debating details there are no finite answers to. PSA so far has a good reputation, and there aren't many issue with their guns. More than BCM, sure, most being small things that are worked out right away in their design process, plus their CS DOES stand behind their product and will make anything right.

What you are willing to accept is your call. The few hundred extra might be worth it to you, why take the risk? I understand that, and there isnt anything wrong with it. I bought a PSA because it gave me more money to do other things I wanted to do to the rifle, and I was confidently convinced that the quality was there. So far, it hasn't proved me wrong.

YMMV.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #19

That's sort of the way I'm leaning, I can buy alot of ammo for the few hundred in price difference. If it came down to 100 bucks or so then it wouldn't be an issue but more than that I think I may just have to take my chances with the new kid on the block, as long as they have a decent reputation and comparable product.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
That's sort of the way I'm leaning, I can buy alot of ammo for the few hundred in price difference. If it came down to 100 bucks or so then it wouldn't be an issue but more than that I think I may just have to take my chances with the new kid on the block, as long as they have a decent reputation and comparable product.
I can vouch for them, not that it means much. They have a good reputation, a spec sheet that looks like it's from any top manufacturer, and amazing prices. The product isn't just "kind of" comparable, I would put them side by side. Same materials, same testing, and so far very few people have had an issues with them which leads me to believe they have tight enough tolerance standards that the rifle is top notch.

Expect a wait, I had to wait two and a half weeks for mine to ship. They are getting hammered with orders. Thats one perk of BCM, they ship lightning fast because they are accustomed to the demand and are ready for it.

If you must call, it is hard to get them on the phone. I havent tried e-mail, but I think it would be better. That being said, once on the phone they were excellent.