BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard?

Is the price difference ($80) really that noticeable? I'm just a weekend warrior who is working on a 2nd build. I'm stepping up this build over my 1st one.

I keep hearing that its just a fad that caught on here in America and SLIGHTLY increases life and accuracy.

Anyone own one? Inout?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6012 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

my main ar15 is that very one bcm midlength lightweight chf.

the chf barrels are VERY accurate on par or better than most stainless barrels.

the barrel and bcg are the heart and sole of the ar15 you can skimp on a lot so long as those two parts are quality.

my wife has the non chf bcm barrel and mine out shoots hers same ammo same optic by about a half moa

you will wear out at least two bolts before the barrel goes. so for a typical civilian shooter a lifetime easily.

do i recomend it?? yes. is it worth it?? to me it is. to you?? that i cant help with

my other cold hammer forged is a scar17 and its a half moa gun all day long

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My 1st build is as follows:

Spikes lower
PSA lpk
Spikes m16 bcg
Stag arms 4140 chrome moly 1/9 carbine 16'

So from what i've been reading and been getting comments, i would see a good increase in accuracy just getting the standard BCM barrel.
BTW i already have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron bcg ready to go along with a spikes enhanced lpk

Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo41510 View Post
My 1st build is as follows:

Spikes lower
PSA lpk
Spikes m16 bcg
Stag arms 4140 chrome moly 1/9 carbine 16'

So from what i've been reading and been getting comments, i would see a good increase in accuracy just getting the standard BCM barrel.
BTW i already have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron bcg ready to go along with a spikes enhanced lpk
personal i would go with a bcm barrel and bcm bcg. the fail zero is pretty fail. mostly hype and shiny-shiny. the nickel boron stuff is mostly fad and doesnt do anything better than standard milspec phosphate. if you want something shiny get a rra chromed bcg at least the chrome does a decent job at ease of cleaning without flaking off

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Do you have a nib bcg or are you going off hearsay?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #6

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

I went with a CHF Daniel Defense LW 16" midlength upper then a year later decided to build an almost identical AR. This time instead I used the non-BFH BCM LW 16" midlength. I like the DD slightly better and it's slightly more accurate. I don't know if it's because of the DD barrel in general or the hammer forging. I sometimes wonder if it would have made much difference going with the BFH BCM but honestly the standard button rifling is plenty good.

I'd say you can go either way, it's up to you. But I'd sure put that money toward hammer forging instead of the gimmicky NiB BCG. The phosphated BCM belongs in a BCM upper.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo41510 View Post
Do you have a nib bcg or are you going off hearsay?
i do not own a nib nor will i. there was one passed around by a vendor with various members of the forum here. intent was to get it into as many hands as possible without cleaning and abuse the hell out of it to get it to fail. it didnt get past the second person before it failed miserably.

you might be able to dig the thread up in the searches. should be in the ar15 subforum.

i have seen no proof its better or even equal to chrome or phosphate

here is the link and X-Mark was the vendor

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

lesson is make sure the bcg is quality and the selling point isnt just shiny shiny. spikes rra bcm all work. nib puts hype in the forefront.

Last edited by JonM; 07-11-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Either the Standard or BFH, you won't go wrong with either one. BCM is an outstanding company.
Or as Quentin mentioned, DD CHF is another best barrels out there for less $ than BCM BFH.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Question- so should i put my spikes phosphate m16 bcg (currently in my 1st build) in my 2nd build?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

BTW here are pics of my 1st build and me at the range just this past weekend. Also have a hi point 4595ts....

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405053902.313021.jpg
ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405053928.070072.jpg