Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bcm-16-mid-length-chf-standard-108574/)

plo41510 07-11-2014 12:28 AM

BCM 16' mid length....CHF or standard?

Is the price difference ($80) really that noticeable? I'm just a weekend warrior who is working on a 2nd build. I'm stepping up this build over my 1st one.

I keep hearing that its just a fad that caught on here in America and SLIGHTLY increases life and accuracy.

Anyone own one? Inout?

JonM 07-11-2014 12:41 AM

my main ar15 is that very one bcm midlength lightweight chf.

the chf barrels are VERY accurate on par or better than most stainless barrels.

the barrel and bcg are the heart and sole of the ar15 you can skimp on a lot so long as those two parts are quality.

my wife has the non chf bcm barrel and mine out shoots hers same ammo same optic by about a half moa

you will wear out at least two bolts before the barrel goes. so for a typical civilian shooter a lifetime easily.

do i recomend it?? yes. is it worth it?? to me it is. to you?? that i cant help with

my other cold hammer forged is a scar17 and its a half moa gun all day long

plo41510 07-11-2014 12:47 AM

My 1st build is as follows:

Spikes lower
PSA lpk
Spikes m16 bcg
Stag arms 4140 chrome moly 1/9 carbine 16'

So from what i've been reading and been getting comments, i would see a good increase in accuracy just getting the standard BCM barrel.
BTW i already have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron bcg ready to go along with a spikes enhanced lpk

JonM 07-11-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plo41510 (Post 1602632)
My 1st build is as follows:

Spikes lower
PSA lpk
Spikes m16 bcg
Stag arms 4140 chrome moly 1/9 carbine 16'

So from what i've been reading and been getting comments, i would see a good increase in accuracy just getting the standard BCM barrel.
BTW i already have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron bcg ready to go along with a spikes enhanced lpk

personal i would go with a bcm barrel and bcm bcg. the fail zero is pretty fail. mostly hype and shiny-shiny. the nickel boron stuff is mostly fad and doesnt do anything better than standard milspec phosphate. if you want something shiny get a rra chromed bcg at least the chrome does a decent job at ease of cleaning without flaking off

plo41510 07-11-2014 01:25 AM

Do you have a nib bcg or are you going off hearsay?

Quentin 07-11-2014 01:57 AM

I went with a CHF Daniel Defense LW 16" midlength upper then a year later decided to build an almost identical AR. This time instead I used the non-BFH BCM LW 16" midlength. I like the DD slightly better and it's slightly more accurate. I don't know if it's because of the DD barrel in general or the hammer forging. I sometimes wonder if it would have made much difference going with the BFH BCM but honestly the standard button rifling is plenty good.

I'd say you can go either way, it's up to you. But I'd sure put that money toward hammer forging instead of the gimmicky NiB BCG. The phosphated BCM belongs in a BCM upper.

JonM 07-11-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plo41510 (Post 1602643)
Do you have a nib bcg or are you going off hearsay?

i do not own a nib nor will i. there was one passed around by a vendor with various members of the forum here. intent was to get it into as many hands as possible without cleaning and abuse the hell out of it to get it to fail. it didnt get past the second person before it failed miserably.

you might be able to dig the thread up in the searches. should be in the ar15 subforum.

i have seen no proof its better or even equal to chrome or phosphate

here is the link and X-Mark was the vendor

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

lesson is make sure the bcg is quality and the selling point isnt just shiny shiny. spikes rra bcm all work. nib puts hype in the forefront.

okdonk 07-11-2014 03:45 AM

Either the Standard or BFH, you won't go wrong with either one. BCM is an outstanding company.
Or as Quentin mentioned, DD CHF is another best barrels out there for less $ than BCM BFH.

plo41510 07-11-2014 04:41 AM

Question- so should i put my spikes phosphate m16 bcg (currently in my 1st build) in my 2nd build?

plo41510 07-11-2014 04:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
BTW here are pics of my 1st build and me at the range just this past weekend. Also have a hi point 4595ts....

Attachment 146706
Attachment 146707