Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > which bcg to use?? WMD or BCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 5 Posts

Default which bcg to use?? WMD or BCM

I was lucky enough to snag both BCM and WMD nib-x bolt carrier groups for my stag/AO build. I was thinking of keeping the BCM and selling the WMD because, well, it's BCM afterall. But I think I could sell the BCM for a little more and I do like the sound of the nickel boron coating on the WMD. I'm torn!

I'd love to get some opinions on the subject. Especially if anyone else has experience with a WMD bcg!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't think the nickel boron really does much. Maybe a little easier to clean. BCM bolt carrier groups are the bees knees man.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

BCM is certainly in the lead to begin with, and I originally thought the same about the nickel boron coating. But I've since heard of some people putting over a thousand rounds through their rifle with a nickel boron coated bcg without even a drop of oil! Supposedly, the rifle and bcg still ran flawlessly. That sounded a little too good to be true, but if I take them at their word it is definitely something to be considered.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #4

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 691

No matter which BCG, anyone who tries to put 1000 rounds through an AR without a drop of oil is an idiot so I wouldn't put much stock in those claims. The BCM is a sure thing, the other one could be a plated turd for all we know.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

I found the thread and double checked. So far they said they put 800 rounds through the rifle without any ADDITIONAL lube than what came on the bcg when it arrived from WMD. It was still running strong at that point (this was posted in July of 2012). Others seem to have done similar tests, but they usually stop around 300 or 400 rounds.

The whole point of nickel boron coating is that the surface is slick without adding lube. It sounds like it lives up to its claims.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 981 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by epleyjoseph View Post
I found the thread and double checked. So far they said they put 800 rounds through the rifle without any ADDITIONAL lube than what came on the bcg when it arrived from WMD. It was still running strong at that point (this was posted in July of 2012). Others seem to have done similar tests, but they usually stop around 300 or 400 rounds.

The whole point of nickel boron coating is that the surface is slick without adding lube. It sounds like it lives up to its claims.
You do what you want but anything moving like a BCG is creating friction and premature wear , stick with the trusted stuff and BCM is it , use what ever you got to lube it, engine oil, vegetable oil, spit, transmission fluid , 3in1 oil, grease, , what ever we all know this stuff works 100% and BCM is a trusted name out there in BCGs
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Thinks about the NiBoys claims.
Think about their motivation.
Think about the violent action of the bolt and carrier over thousands of rounds.
Think about hard steel against a much softer upper receiver over years of such use.

Considering what will happen over time I'd oil that sucker.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #8

BCM it is!

But I'd like to clarify-no one is saying it's wise run your AR without lube. These posts were by people who were skeptical of the nickel boron finish and wanted to put it through hell to see if it was legit.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #9

Of course the above is just my opinion and anyone is free to buy whatever they wish. When I see hype about "the latest and greatest" my first thought is this is more about redistributing funds from my pocket to theirs than "better".

Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Liked 548 Times on 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epleyjoseph
BCM it is!

But I'd like to clarify-no one is saying it's wise run your AR without lube. These posts were by people who were skeptical of the nickel boron finish and wanted to put it through hell to see if it was legit.
So you selling the other BCG?