Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BCG questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

IN STOCK!!!

PSA has M-16 BCG in stock. They ARE chrome lined. Now I wish I had waited. Here is the link if anyone is looking.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/complete/m16-bolt-carrier-group-13009.html

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

ZeusEcho Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Question:

Chrome lining on the BCG just makes it easier to clean, right? It really has no function/reliability effect so long as the gun is cleaned often?

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #33

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Chrome lining is a pretty big deal inside the gas key and inside the carrier where the bolt/piston rings contact the cylinder. Those areas must be clean for proper function. Does your BCG have another coating instead? I'd double check the specs. Also last time I checked PSA still had their $180 M16 MPI BCG in stock. Since BCGs still are hit or miss you probably could sell the one you have, especially since it's unused. I'm just throwing that out there, I have no idea about the quality of your BCG so this is not a knock on it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It has the microslick coating on it. The he coating is suppose to make it require less lube because it is a slicker surface

Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hmmm, sure doesn't look chrome lined.
Every metal part of this BCG (inside & out) is Cerakoted in Microslick. Yes, even if the part is otherwise stainless underneath, and even right down to the retaining pin.

And for fa35jsf- "Microslick" is simply a form of Cerakote product...like ''Camry" is to Toyota. I believe it's their thinnest, finest finish...for tighter tolerance parts and pieces, such as BCGs.

These have been outstanding BCGs for me so far. I'm running them in multiple rifles, as are several of my friends. And I'd recommend them to anyone who isn't adverse to spending a little north of $200 for a higher end BCG. I realize that's not for everyone. But I'll take them over NiB in my experience.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Question:

Chrome lining on the BCG just makes it easier to clean, right? It really has no function/reliability effect so long as the gun is cleaned often?
Pretty much what quentin said.

I would like to add one more thing. The chrome lining on the inside of the carrier key and bolt raceways prevent heavy carbon buildup under prolonged firing. Carbon builds to a certain extent and continuously flakes off with a chrome lining. The gun keeps running.

With non chromed carrier it can lock up like a bank vault door under heavy use. Both chromed and nonchromed need to be cleaned like any other rifle part chromed bcg just dont have an Annoying habit of locking tight if you neglect the cleaning.

It was one of the reasons the early m16 and a lot of civvy copies get bad reps.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
IN STOCK!!!

PSA has M-16 BCG in stock. They ARE chrome lined. Now I wish I had waited. Here is the link if anyone is looking.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/complete/m16-bolt-carrier-group-13009.html
Thanks for the head up- still in stock today!

Just grabbed one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #38

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Every metal part of this BCG (inside & out) is Cerakoted in Microslick. Yes, even if the part is otherwise stainless underneath, and even right down to the retaining pin.

And for fa35jsf- "Microslick" is simply a form of Cerakote product...like ''Camry" is to Toyota. I believe it's their thinnest, finest finish...for tighter tolerance parts and pieces, such as BCGs.

These have been outstanding BCGs for me so far. I'm running them in multiple rifles, as are several of my friends. And I'd recommend them to anyone who isn't adverse to spending a little north of $200 for a higher end BCG. I realize that's not for everyone. But I'll take them over NiB in my experience.
Sweeper always gives good advice fa35jsf, so I think you can feel good about your bolt carrier. The microslick coating hopefully will perform the same function (that JonM described so well) chrome lining does.

Bottom line, it's extremely important that carbon buildup is minimized inside the BCG, and no doubt there are multiple solutions. I only know the standard phosphated and chrome lined BCG and tend to stick with what has worked for me but in these times of serious shortages many of us have had to venture out from our comfort zone.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

sweeper22 Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Sweeper always gives good advice fa35jsf, so I think you can feel good about your bolt carrier. The microslick coating hopefully will perform the same function (that JonM described so well) chrome lining does.
I appreciate the endorsement and would point any of my fellow FTFers who were willing to spend $230 (that's what BCM is charging too, BTW) in this direction. I've found that this BCG will quickly show skid marks during normal use, but will remain slick as snot regardless. Extremely smooth action, without the bling or squeak of NiB.

I currently have 8 BCGs. A DD, Spike's, and three each of BCM and these Cerakote STS...and I've bought each of the latter two in repetition for good reason.

If you want to stay under $200, PSA is awful tough to beat the moment.
People Like This 
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Sweeper and everyone else for the great advice. I am sure that I will be building more AR's in the future so maybe on the next one I might get a chrome lined BCG. For now I will stick with what I got.